I've got my work cut out for me: step-by-step (Pic Heavy)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, I'm not paying $250! The Krylon stuff only costs about $7 a can...If I could afford a CN I would totally get one but alas, I can't lol

wrong place for this question but it just popped into my head as i was reading...can i PM pictures on here? found a reeeaaalllly pretty lizard on the patio the other day and wanted to share its purdyness with ya XD

Bamboo said:
Oh yeah, I couldn't find any latches that I would be able to attach the doors without more big changes but I thought of something else: I found some wire and I was thinking that I could make a sort of clip latch with it...I can't really explain it lol it's just something I thought might work...

Here's a picture of the before and after of the latch to show you what I meant when I said my stepdad flipped them around. The flash distorted the view in the other picture so here's a before and after.. worked like a (free) charm. :thumbup:

July7087.jpg

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/ ... CF1942.jpg

Oh! OK, I see what you mean now. Yeah, I'll do that...Thanks Cigar!
pshuga03 said:
wrong place for this question but it just popped into my head as i was reading...can i PM pictures on here? found a reeeaaalllly pretty lizard on the patio the other day and wanted to share its purdyness with ya XD
Yes, you can PM pictures. Or you could put them up in the Lizard caresheets thread...either way I can't wait to see them :) :stickpoke:

Wow Bamboo I won't ask what you paid for the cage but I hope you got a good deal for all the work you've put into it. That's a pretty daunting task you've done! Hope you're proud, I've surely had projects that I've put 10 hours into to save $20 bucks, I just call it a labor of love. I hope the smell doesn't return once you paint it.

I have a couple suggestions that might help as they've worked for me anyway. Far as accessibility - You could add a large door to the middle level to ease cleaning - I've had cages where there aren't doors where I want them, so I make them - combination door/ladders. All you need is a small cage you can get cheap or free, and a dremel or power drill with cutting disc and smoothing bit. (you can get a cheap dremel with bits assortment from Canadian Tire or XS Cargo, or just buy some cheap bits for a power drill).
I made the side doors in both the blue cage and the white cage, small cause I just wanted the kids to be able to come and go, but you could make bigger ones for cleaning.
cage070811.jpg

Hope I can make this clear with some pictures as it's really easy but harder to explain, this is a small hole, but the same principal for a huge one..... Cut a hole in the big cage where you want a door (cut out as many bars as you want to make the hole as big as you want - just cut inside the crossbars on the keeper cage and outside the crossbars on the cutup cage).
Use the cutup cage to cut a door out of (I find it does double duty to cut it extra long so it can double as a ladder). Smooth the cut edges. The door doesn't have to fit the hole - as long as it's bigger than the hole it will work just fine. Just measure and pre-plan so you know the new door will be big enough, and align the bars in the right direction so you will be able to fit clip on to hold it closed (you can get clips in all different sizes tho)...
hole cut in cage, door attached & open
makedoor-opendoor-ladder.jpg

door closed
makedoor-closeddoor-ladder.jpg

If you can leave 2 bars on the door long enough to fold over you can use them to attach it to the cage - otherwise you can use wire or split rings to attach it.
makedoor-fold-overattachment.jpg

Far as securing the door shut for day-to-day opening & closing I use 1 or 2 paper clips and have never had an escape, you can use a bunch if you are concerned, they only take a moment to attach or take off...
makedoor-clips.jpg

Not so pretty as an expensive cage but it sure can make a cage perfect for you & your kids. Hope I explained it well, if not and this can help you then you can pm me if you have any questions, I'm no expert but I've had a lot of practice mickey-mouse-ing things on my rat budget, lol.

P.S. Thankyou so much for caring about Mima dog!

That's a GREAT idea! I use double-high Hagen blue bottomed cages (like the one on top in your first picture) but I've always hated how only the tops open. Makes it pain when I make them double-high for a pair of rats, I can barely reach the bottom.

I think I shall try this...

Back