It's getting closer!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanscritters

Okay, I posted awhile ago that I thought my new girls may be pregnant. Well, my camera broke, my sister gave me a new one, but still hasn't found the memory chip, but I may be getting it today, anyways. I am not sure if Lily is pregnant, she is smaller, and always on the move, so it's harder to tell. Ollie on the other hand, is getting bigger and bigger, and has a belly on her. I am pretty sure she is pregnant. I have been doing some research, but I still have some stuff to ask you guys, lol.

Should I take them out of the original cage, like, the cage I have them in now, or keep one in there to have her babies? I am guessing I should take them both out, into new cages.

Second, when the babies are born, what should I do. Should I handle them, I definitely want to take tons of pictures and show you guys, but wont the new Moms be upset if I am taking their babies away?

Third, how long before they are weaned? What do I do when it comes time, will Mom kind of just take over and wean them herself? Will they just start eating solid food on their own?

Fourth, the nest. I have been finding tons of stuff they love, and putting it in the cage. I was thinking of getting a box and putting lots of bedding in there, and maybe an old t-shirt? When it starts to smell, would it be okay to replace the nest from time to time?

I think that's it, if I have anything else to ask, ill edit, or post again lol. And I am hoping to get that memory chip for my new camera soon, because I really want to get some pictures of my girls and post them, their so cute :heart:

If the bar spacing in the original cage is not too big one of the moms can stay in that cage.

You can handle them right away but be sure momma doesn't mind. If she seems unsure or upset, either take her out when you handle them or just give her a bit of time...

They start weaning at about 3-4 weeks, and they should stay with momma until they are 5 weeks but at 5 weeks the boys need to be seperated from the girls....of course the girls can stay with mommy.

No t-shirts in the nest, only use things that can't fray. A t-shirt could get tangled around a baby and hurt it. Fleece is good, and tissues, toilet paper, too...Don't mess with the nest for a couple of days after the birth, then you can change it out...

Lilratsy gave you such a great summary! Wish I'd known some of that stuff the first time. I was a nervous wreck!

There are some good baby threads on this Forum to check out for photos of nests, etc. And you'll want to be giving mama some extra-nutritious food while she is nursing. Scrambled egg is a favourite, and so is baby cereal mixed with soy milk.

Oh, thank you! That's a lot of helpful information. I filled the box with toilet paper, and Ollie seems to like it. I think she will be staying in her current cage, and Lily will be moved to another cage. And just in case it turns out that Lily is pregnant too, I have a box with toilet paper ready in her cage, I will give it at least 10 more days before I separate them. After I gave them the new box, I played with them for awhile, and Ollie was very nippy. She got me at least 3 times, which neither of them have ever nipped before. I am guessing this is normal? But I just kind of pushed my finger into it when she bit me, and she gave up. Actually I wouldn't even say bit, they were just little nips.

Yikes, no toilet paper, rather use paper towels. The toilet paper is so thin that it will stick on the babies and if it goes in their face when they are just born it will dry there and could suffocate them. Shredded newspaper works well too.

If the mom lets you, I would handle them every day, at least touch them and get them used to humans.

Yikes, no toilet paper, rather use paper towels. The toilet paper is so thin that it will stick on the babies and if it goes in their face when they are just born it will dry there and could suffocate them. Shredded newspaper works well too.

I never heard that one before Jo. When I had babies I had no issues with it, but I can see where it could be a problem...Definately would rather be safe then sorry!

Yikes! Thanks Jo, that would of been horrible! I will switch it today. They are handable, but both are being very, very nippy all of a sudden, but I am not afraid of being bit so I will continue to handle them. Thank you!

The nipping is probably just from hormones. Good luck with it all :D people are here incase anything goes wrong, or incase you need reasurring with anything

Back