Items for rats!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xKrAzEdShOoTeRx

Ok so i get a new pair of rats this friday and i was just wondering if anyone has reccommended toys, cages, food, treats, etc. that will be suitable for my future rats Ham and Cheese that will be coming into my family real soon. and if you ask they are going to be my first rats and yes i am very excited. :joy:

Honestly, I think a Critter Nation cage is the best bet. There are a lot of amazing cages out there, but Midwest has me sold, lol. I, myself, have a ferret nation, which would be cheaper, but you'd have to net it yourself with wire mesh since the bar spacing is too large, and ratties can squirm out. You can also check on Craigslist or Kijiji and see if you can find a nice cage for cheap, since it's been used. That's how I got mine :D

As for food, Harlan Teklad 2014 is one of the best out there, if you look around the site there's a list somewhere out there about the different Harlan products, and the health benefits and nutritional facts of all of them. Also, fruit a few times a week, and fresh veggies every day keep Ratties fat and happy.

For treats, I use yogurt covered rasins, or those little flavoured puffed rice snacks by Gerber, made for babies. You'll find out what your girls like best by trial and error. For toys, I have a few cat toys, the plastic balls with bells in them. My girls chase them around and play. They also have a treat ball intended for ferrets, I fill it with treats and they knock it around the cage trying to get them out. Any sort of boxes, full boxes of tissues that they can tear up are instant nests, wood chews, bird toys/perches. Go look around the site at pictures of people's cages to get some ideas. The majority of the things in cages are either home made or come from the dollar store. Rats are easy and cheap to please. And Hammocks. You'll need lots of hammocks. There are tutorials on the site on how to make easy ones without sewing, and if you're not savvy with a needle and thread, there are plenty of members who sell hammocks and cage liners. Fleece liners are my favorite type of bedding, they're easy to clean, easy to make if you know how to sew, and you can make them out of so many fun colored fabrics.

read the threads in the different sections and you will get lots of ideas
fisher price etc barn or garage are good for there play area and can be picked up at yard sales etc
they love vegs and think those are treats,
other treats: a cheerio, cooked oatmeal, a piece of boiled egg, a spoon sized shredded wheat, a piece of organic cereal. Just watch sugar and salt content as neither are healthy

There is also threads on here if you need some ideas on setting up your cages. There is a thread for the Ferret nation and the critter nation. We all love to see everyone's setups

Have you already gotten your cage? Make sure it's a nice big one for the two rats. As for toys, boxes, ping pong balls, rope, paper towels make for good cheap toys.

i am getting i think a four story rat cage that comes with the food dish hammock waterbottle and exercise wheel, it is pretty big

Make sure the wheel is 12 inches in diameter. A lot of cages come with hamster wheels and that can hurt their backs. :nod:

Do you know the brand of cage?
Set ups are always the fun part! Lots and lots of hammocks for sure, and most bird toys are safe for rats too. I've got a couple of the hard perches to put by their water bottles and for climbing as it'll help wear down their nails and a couple wood chew hanging toys that are technically for rats, but are the same as most basic bird ones. I also bought one of those bendable rope perches for climbing! They love shredding TP tubes and such too.

jorats said:
Have you already gotten your cage? Make sure it's a nice big one for the two rats. As for toys, boxes, ping pong balls, rope, paper towels make for good cheap toys.

Ping pong balls? Do they kick them them around? Im trying to picture what they do with them but for the life of me I can't. [schild=1,1,000000,C0C0C0:32wynqxv]Confused[/schild:32wynqxv] Please enlighten me Jorats please!!!

Just FYI, This kid talked about getting rats, was told about the cage size over and over. He magically disappeared the day the rats were to show up. Which was last month.

Back