itchy scratchy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarunia

soooo
lately i've been noticing that my little slava has been very... scratchy. he's always been fond of grooming himself, but this morning when i woke up i noticed a little red spot on his ear, which i assume is from his claws... should they just be clipped? he doesn't have any signs of mites, although he does get small scabs or little clumps of fur that fall out (this happens to my cats at home, so i assume that this is normal... ??)
anything i can do to make sure he doesn't scratch his ear off? i've clipped his nails in the past, but this is a five person job, and seeing as i am only one person that might be a bit complicated :roll:
i also have the boys on one drop of echinacea a day (well, two for slava) could that be affecting him??? it has really, really helped his breathing!!! i just hope that it's not causing other problems :wallbang:
thanks!! :hugs:

Well, I think, but I'm not really an expert but you never know.
Maybe echinacea is giving him irratating is skin, I mean you know when you put on some perfume or something, if you don't then it can irratate your rats skin, maybe that's what's happining!???? :? I'm not quiet sure, maybe it is the echinacea but it must be going on his skin some how.

I'm not that sure, you could maybe try going to the vet, I mean it's worth a try right, for your rats sake!? :hugs:
You could also ask some of your friends over to help with the nail clipping? :D

I mean what do you think it is?

I hope this information helps, but I'm not sure, I mean, I'm not really an expert. Sorry...!

Well I hope everything will be alright.

Hope to here from you soon.

thanks joanne!
i've heard about an otc kitten treatment, but i haven't been able to find it, do you know what it might be???

Unfortunately, in Canada, we can't get any treatments that work for mites/lice without a vet prescription. I'm not sure about the US and other places though... I use either Ivermectin or Revolution.

Jo, a while back we were talking about revolution and some of the members i.e. Mumsy is able to get it from a website without a perscription.

Sarunia I am giving my girls echineacha cherry flavoured in a regiment of two weeks on one week off 5 drops twice a day. I haven't had any problems with skin. I would say definately mites. AND the skin scraping usually comes up negative. My vet didn't feel it was mites and I told her that I knew my girls, they don't fight or I would know. So remember you know your rats the best.

Maybe it's different in BC than in Ontario, but I get Ivermectin without a prescription at a place that sells stuff for all kinds of animals. Have you tried a place that sells horse supplies?

LA said:
Jo, a while back we were talking about revolution and some of the members i.e. Mumsy is able to get it from a website without a perscription.
LA, would you happen to have the url for that website? I think Revolution is something I should probably have on hand.

You can also buy revolution from your vet.
Dossage is by weight and you should be able to just go in and pick up a tube of kitten or cat revolution without any appointment.

Thanks, SQ. For some reason I thought the Revolution had to be prescribed by the vet after examining the rattie, but if I can just walk in and ask for it, I won't bother ordering it on-line . . . unless there's a substantial savings involved by ordering it on-line?

Back