Itchy Rat!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausage4ever

Eli is my 32month old male and ever since he was young he has been itchy. He also seemed to be scratching something but now his sides are extremely itchy. He is itching to the point of near exhaustion. I thought at first it could be his tumour that he was itching but he only has a tumour on one side. I'm currently in the process of switching his food and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. He was eating a mixture of Nutro Lite and Wellness Weight dog food with baby oatmeal, fish oil, Vita-Sol for hammies and Chrome. I am switching him and the skinkids to Oxbow. I have notice him becoming increasingly itchy in the last few weeks this week being one of the worst, because he is unable to properly balance himself due to his failing back legs scratching is very difficult for him. Everytime he starts seriously itching it looks as if he having a seizure (he likes to do this on my lap where he get the most balance but while he seizing up and scratching you can hear bone cricking/popping). It's really spooky.

I had him on a cat treats (Zukes) for a while to help out with legs but stopped on the advice of a forum member. However I don't know how to give him his pill, and he is back to dragging his legs and spends most of his out time peeing on himself. I was wondering if anyone know why he may be so itchy (I'm thinking a food allergy) and how to give him a pill???

I already checked for external parasites/scabs and there are none on him or the skinkids. He scratching himeself almost bald (it could be old age as well though) , I think it his feet worked right the area would be raw. I think it's internal, we're going to the vet on Monday but I just want to have some ideas about what it might be before I go.

You will not see mites .... I would treat everyone with revolution for mites, just in case.
I would also change his diet (as you said you were doing) in case of an allergy or too much protien (don't know if that makes rats itch but it does with some dogs) ...
How is his buck grease? If he is no longer able to groom properly, it is possible that may make him more ichy ....
Is your air dry? When the air gets too dry, my rats get a bit itchy ....

As for the pill, you could try grinding it up (you can buy a thing-a-ma-gig at the drug store for this) and hiding it in something tastey.

I agree with SQ. Probably good to treat him regardless if you see evidence of bugs. At least you can rule them out. Too much protein will definitely make rats itchy too. I'm sure the cat treats had a lot of that.

Have you checked his ears? I'm asking because I've had a lot of old boys start to lose their back legs and tend to do a lot of itching (or appears to be itchy), but are really wanting to get at those ears to clean them (but can no longer reach). Look inside the area outside the ear canal and see if he's got some wax build up. You can take a q-tip and gently swab out the excess wax. Be careful not to get the q-tip down in the ear canal, but this could make him feel much better if his ears are in need of cleaning. My Nemo reeeeally appreciates that. He's lost the use of both of his legs now and appreciates help from "mom". :nod:

Thank you I'll pass some of this info onto the vet. I will also give him a bath I've been putting it off due to the intro but might as well get everyone in the tub today!!!

Just as an update, he has an ear infection in both ears and is now on meds for it. Thanks Debbie after cleaning his ears on Sat. I was pretty sure it was an infection.

Back