Issues with a lone rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
Rachael said:
I don't honestly know what you mean by the brain thing :oops: :?

You just proved my point.

What Moon said... with the right buddies and in good health physically and mentally. But in all my years, I have yet to meet a rat that wanted to be alone. Not once.

Lynds and I totally thought all hope was lost for Rodeo, and look at the transformation! One car ride with Jo can do wonders for a rat.

Well, now that Moose is gone, I kinda want scout to be with me all the time if possible.. I've cleaned off my rather cluttered desk and laid down a towel there with some treats and water so he can relax with me

Edit: Pics of my setup
5d4b5067.jpg

9388ea89.jpg

What do you guys think? The burger king bag is for something he can retreat to if he wants to and I know he loves the crinkle noise of bags... hehe

jorats said:
Rachael said:
I don't honestly know what you mean by the brain thing :oops: :?

You just proved my point. .

No... as in, it isn't at all relevant to this thread, how I do introductions, how I own rats, or anything. That's almost saying anybody under 19 isn't fully capable of owning pets and that's really not true.

She wasn't saying you can't own pets or do intros, but your brain gears you to be defensive of your notions and not accepting when you're being told otherwise.

She didn't say intros will work 100% of the time. Hence your inability to accept being told things, you look right past what's being said and only interpet it a certain way, no matter how many times it's clarified. The point is that all rats should be able to take to having friends AS LONG AS THE CHEMISTRY IS RIGHT. Can this stop now please?

Rachael said:
from my personal experience, intros don't always work.

Your personal experience is very limited. And I don't think you've tried everything to make intros work. Do you neuter them when it doesn't work?

I would never allow a rat to live alone when a neuter almost always works in making them more accepting.
Then there's getting new buddies to find the right match, or changing the cage, or changing the area of the cage, or making sure that rat is not around any other rat while attempting intros, or the last approach, rehoming the rat so that a new home can provide him buddies. Sometimes homes with established colonies can freak a rat so bad that a new home is needed. I highly doubt that you've done all this with your intros.
It's really quite easy for anyone to try once and think it doesn't work so little guy must want to be alone. That's BS! You have to keep trying, you have to try different methods, you have to neuter, you have to do everything possible to help your little guy realize that yes, a buddy is much appreciated. I've had some real aggressive rats, Radar would actually jump and attack another male and this was after his neuter. I found him a docile but yet strong girl to guide him in how to be a rat and learn rat body language. After a few weeks with Isabelle, Radar was ready for intros with the colony again... he enjoyed the rest of his life surrounded by furry buddies, he even bonded strongly with with them.

If you've done all those things and still the rat is too neurotic to accept buddies, then you allow him/her to live alone and be his/her companion for at least 12 hours in the day... they need companionship. You need to learn to gently massage them with your mouth, you need to keep them close to you and breathe your hot air on them, they need to hear your heartbeat and smell your scent, hear your soothing voice at all times.

That looks like a great set up. I think I would try an intro if he'll allow it. If it stresses him out too much, then I'd just keep him around all the time. I had a lone rat that was not accepting of other rats, even after his neuter. I just made sure that he had lots of out time with me.

The main reason I am worried about him being lonely is we work long hours (10.5 hours apiece and sleep for 8)... that doesnt leave a whole lot of time to devote to him. I take him out with us for everything: While we make dinner, watch TV, play on the computer (scout has helped me rack up a few honorable kills in World of Warcraft by stepping on the right key at the right time lol), but I'm worried that for 16 hours of the day he must be incredibly lonely :\ We're going to pick up a 2nd cage this week and get some new boys and stage intros over the next few weeks, and hope Scout is cool with them. If not, I'm not sure what else to do :\

Ya, that's a lot of hours being alone. If you are ok with getting more rats then that would be the ideal thing but if you are not wanting to stay in rats then you could foster perhaps?

We've made the call to get scout a few brothers.. will stagger intros after quarantine... I don't wanna risk Scout getting sick, but even with me spending 90% of my home time with him, he still looks lonely. He needs a few pals :)

We haven't even gone looking yet for buddies, but we're looking to try to get them young... a middle age rat might have dominance issues (scout was the 'alpha' of our old guys)

So, we picked up our boys today, they're currently sleeping in their new cage. Will keep them quarantined from scout for a week we figure before we do some intros. We have 3 little boys, a black hooded named Bigwig, an essex brown named Bear, and a pearl standard named Jack. I'll post pics as soon as they're a little more comfortable in their surroundings. For now, they love the igloo and hammocks lol

Back