Isolation?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smexrat

Ellie and the girls had there first vet visit today and they all checked out fine except my ellie they say her sneezing might be a contagious life long deisese i dont remember what it was called that could involve isolation and lifelong medication i have her isolated now but is there ony one else whos had experiance with this will she be isolated for ever? and i have baytril for there mites what do other people mix theres with? theres no juice or anything that they really like so i'm not sure

They likely ment myco.
All pet rats are assumed to have myco and rats experience myco flareups of symptoms from time to time ... some more then others.
Rats are not separated for myco.
Actually it is extremely rare to need to separate rats for any medical reason.

Please put Ellie back in with the others right now.
If she had anything contagious, they would already have it.
Being separated will stress her, causing her to become more ill .... not to mention lonely, etc.

I measure out the amount each rat gets and add a drop of strawberry quik, a drop or 2 of olive oil, a couple of drops of water and mix it up with a bit of baby cereal to thicken it. My rats think it is a great treat.

Baytril, an antibiotic, is good for treating myco and is often used in combo with other antibiotics.

Cat or kitten revolution is used to treat mites and it is put on the back of their necks. The amount used is based on the weight of the rat.
It lasts for a month. Mites can not be seen and skin scraping are painful and often give false results so do not get skin scrapings done to test for mites.
You can get revolution from a vet.

Edit: Here is a thread on masking meds so that rats will eat them
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4656&p=232782&hilit=masking+meds#p232782

In my opinion you should never isolate. It will just cause your girl more stress being away from her friends and if the is contagious then her cagemates will have already been exposed to it so separating them now isnt going to do anything for them unfortunatly. And even if isolation would work I think you would have to follow all of the strict quaratine procedures in order for it to be sucessful. If I were in your situation I wouldnt separate her from her friends.

Also baytril for mites? Baytril is an antibiotic and as far as I know wont help with mites at all. If your ratties have mites you will need to get them a treatment of revolution or there's another availalble but I cant think of the name right now (someone help? lol). But I have found a good thing to mix baytril with is Ensure. Just put a littl Ensure on a spoon and add the baytril to it then your rat should lap it right up.

well the vet gave my girls a shot and in ten days there going back for another i assumed the baytril was for the mites cause i think thats what he told me ( out vets are next to worthless plus i had5 other animals in at the time) so i think i'll just put her back she looks so sad in her hamock by herself and i feel like crap for doing it and he told me to mix 10cc of something in there for them but idk what if they dont like anything i guess they'll just have to deal with it lol and poor aurora she bleed after her shot today and besides the bottem of the cage falling out when we walked in the door and booboo running off behind the desk things went great he offered to trim ellies teeth for me but that was 60$ and my bf has the process down idk about this vet for rodents they did a scraping and something with tape idk what the deal was i wish i could find someone better near me

oh and ellie and freya have been together for like a month or so now and freyas not sneezing i think its cause the hole in her mouth but in 10days i'll tell the vet he needs to check it out more throughly

I agree, never isolate. The rare exception would be if one rat was seriously hurting another, but that's it.

As far as masking medications I have all but given up. In the last couple of months I have held my monkeys in my lap and stuck the syringe into the side of their mouths. I know it sounds harsh (and it can't be done with all rats) but I've had a couple so sick they wouldn't even eat and this was my last resort.

Back