Is this normal?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

Ivy has bad sight. I guess it's because she has red/pink eyes and is almost a pew (with a little nose smudge). I know it's normal for them to sway their head back and forth, but to what extent? She will sit there and sawy her head to one side slowly. Sometimes she will squeal when I pick her up and be all excited, other times won't make a peep and will let me pet her in my arms.

Melissa said:
Ivy has bad sight. I guess it's because she has red/pink eyes and is almost a pew (with a little nose smudge). I know it's normal for them to sway their head back and forth, but to what extent? She will sit there and sawy her head to one side slowly. Sometimes she will squeal when I pick her up and be all excited, other times won't make a peep and will let me pet her in my arms.

Very very normal.

All depends on the rat and what she is trying to focus on (the sway). I have Bronwen a very PEW girl who never sways and seems to have pretty good vision, and Kyrie a fawn whose whole front of her body sways back and forth reallly really fast (she's my little metronome). Ivy sounds pretty normal to me. :D

My Chimo is a PEW and he does the swaying too, when he's out on the top of the cage is sways quite a bit I guess because of the height of the cage and he's making a picture :D He will also squeak if you catch him by surprise/off guard so I make sure I start talking to him well before I try to pick him up or pet him so that I don't startle him :) So yup, this seems normal to me ;)

Ruby is a Pew and she sways quite a bit. She can sway to one side or back and forth. I have learned to always try and pick her up in a scoop and facing her so she can see my hands coming. She is by far the easiest to pick up.

I also think despite her pink eyes she is better at judging things then Lily and Hazel. But I am not sure why.

Back