is this normal?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade

Ok so I just bought some flannel fabric and used it to line the girl's wire cage. In the cage they have a little house and one of the edible huts but they'd rather pull off the clips holding the liner down and sleep underneath it. they're also chewing it like crazy. How can I get them to stop?

The cage:

DSCF1557.jpg

I don't think you can get them to stop. Some rats just love it. And if they love it, then I'd let them do it... It's actually pretty good mental and physical stimulation.

You can't stop them and it is normal.
You could put another flannel cloth in that is not clipped down for them to burrow under. That may help.

Alright thank you. I might try the seconed flannel cloth because I hate the idea of them laying on the wire bottom because their little footsies hang down through the bars and if someone tries to pull the drop pan out to clean it, their feet can get caught.

I would cover that wire bottom if you think there's any way for a foot to get caught. You could use lino tiles (stick down or roll out), etc and just wipe it every day :)

Yes, a cover for the wire floor would ease your mind.

I have one cage of burrowers, and there is nothing I can do about it. So I have just accepted that I will have to scrub their floor more often. They sure know how to mess up a cage fast!

well, since I don't have money at the moment for actual liner, I lined the bottom of the cage with a towel and then laid their pink blanket over that and now instead of burrowing in between the two, the girls are bound determined to go underneath the Green towel now. *sigh* I'm starting to think it's a hopeless cause with these girls :?

Back