Is this normal dominance behaviour or is he terrorizing his brother?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaytee

I have two brothers who are just over three months old. One is clearly dominant (and bigger). The boys wrestle a lot, which I know is normal, but the little guy ALWAYS get pinned and then squeaks, and he'll squeak the entire time his brother is 'power grooming' him... which can go on for a while.

I know squeaking is a way of saying, "Okay, I give!", but is it common for him to squeak so much? None of my other rats have ever made a peep, but this guy is constantly under 'attack' from his brother and constantly squeaking. He doesn't seem afraid of his bro—they'll curl up together, and he'll even instigate the wrestling—but I feel bad that he's constantly getting pummelled. The moment I put him back in the cage after being out with me, his brother runs over to pin him.

Little guy never squeaks when I handle him, so I don't think anything's physically wrong with him. Is this just normal rattie power politics? Does his brother (or both of them) need a neutering?

Sounds excessive, try a time out cage. Get a travel cage with nothing in it and everytime he does it take him out and put him in it for 10 minutes. Don't give him any attention for that 10 minutes. After 10 mins put him back in the cage. Do this everytime and see if he learns his behavior is unacceptable.

I wouldn't be worried unless you saw lesions on his skin from the power grooming or if you saw him cower around his brother. Some rats are talkers. He could be saying ok, I give or he could be saying oh yes, you've got the right spot, keep going.

Back