Is this cage big enough fro 2 male rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

I was just at the pet shop and the biggest rat cage they have is 25x16x23.75 it has balconies. This is the biggest they have and the girl i was talking too said thats what she uses with her 2 rats. What do you all think?

r-670.jpg

its basically that cage

That cage is technically large enough if the space is used wisely (assuming the dimensions given were in inches). But it doesn't look well made or powder coated.

Is the cage galvanized or powder coated (paint is baked on).
If galvanized, it will absorb dirt, urine, and stink within a short period of time.
Plus galvanized metal contains toxins that are not good for little chewers.

Did you have a look at the cage set ups on this forum?
Martins cages is one of the few that make good cages with small bar spacing for rats. However shipping costs from the US make it quite expensive.
You will notice that many people have very large rabbit or ferret cages which they modify for rats - covering with wire until the rats grow large enough, as well as adding shelves.
There is a Rat Nation cage hopefully coming out in the fall but I doubt you want to wait that long.

It is good to have a cage base of at least 30 in by 18 in as well as some height for different levels.

Back