Is this a tumor? *uhm.. white chunky stuff in abscess?*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, do it in a couple different "batches" if necessary. You don't want to cause him too much stress, and the pus won't hurt anything staying for another couple days.

Now at least you know it's definitely an abcess

With an abscess what you want to do is peel off the scab either once or twice a day, flush it out with saline solution and try to get out the white stuff. Sometimes you can't eventually it will push itself out most of the time. Wayne and I had to deal with so many with Erin, I HATE!!! abscesses. You want to have it heal inside out.

I would go ahead and keep warm-compressing the scab, just to make sure it doesn't fill up again. If you can soften up and peel this scab, go ahead and do so. As LA says, you want the wound to heal from the inside out. If the outside scabs, it may trap any lingering infection inside the skin and lead to further problems down the line.

Good luck!

It sounds like a cyst. Compress it well til you get an opening, then put your fingers under it and wiggle it to the surface so it all gets pushed out and not in. Get out what you can but I wouldn't put a kid thru too much trying to be sure to get it all as they can recur no matter what you do. My Mackenzie had one that needed to be cleaned out periodically but it didn't bother him, and I was just grateful it was a harmless cyst and not a tumor.. (sometimes it was getting big and compressing didn't open it so I would make an opening with a needle just at the surface just enough break a bit of skiin and it didn't bother him.)

Back