Is there anything we can do for him?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meghan

Both my husband and I think our poor old guy Edwin's life is coming close to an end. I'm trying not to cry as I type this.

Hes lost about half of his body weight in the past few weeks. So we've started to feed him baby food and pablum. He eats it up like theres no tomorrow. I'm guessing he just doesn't want to put the energy into breaking down his food anymore. So soft foods all the way for him. He'll still have the odd veggie too.

Besides changing his diet, is there anything else we can do for him to make him as comfy as possible? We bought him his own retirement cage a few months ago and he loves it. He makes himself a little cave and seems happy as can be.

Hes my old guy. I adopted three boys at once from a girl who couldn't care for them anymore. He was old at that time. His age now is getting close to three and a half. So hes had a long life. I just want to ensure the remaining days/weeks/months are as comfortable as I can make it for him.

This will be my first rattie loss :cry3:

meghan said:
Both my husband and I think our poor old guy Edwin's life is coming close to an end. I'm trying not to cry as I type this.

Hes lost about half of his body weight in the past few weeks. So we've started to feed him baby food and pablum. He eats it up like theres no tomorrow. I'm guessing he just doesn't want to put the energy into breaking down his food anymore. So soft foods all the way for him. He'll still have the odd veggie too.

Besides changing his diet, is there anything else we can do for him to make him as comfy as possible? We bought him his own retirement cage a few months ago and he loves it. He makes himself a little cave and seems happy as can be.

Hes my old guy. I adopted three boys at once from a girl who couldn't care for them anymore. He was old at that time. His age now is getting close to three and a half. So hes had a long life. I just want to ensure the remaining days/weeks/months are as comfortable as I can make it for him.

This will be my first rattie loss :cry3:

Meghan,

hang in there sweetie. This is always a painful time for rat owners and we all know how much it hurts.

If he is not suffering any pain, then I would continue doing exactly as you are doing for him. Make sure that you and your husband spend as much time as you can with him! Trust me, it will help when the time comes for him to go to the bridge, and you are dealing with the grieving process.

Your little man is really an old timer!!! Awesome!!! I wish I could say that any of my rats lived to his impressive age!!!

Do everything you can with him Meghan! Do you have a bonding sack or something you can carry him around in while you are doing household things?

You're going to make it Meghan! We will be here for you and your hubby when the time comes. :rose: :hugs: :love6: :heart:

Keep strong. If he seems happy, then I'm sure he is. Sounds like he's got it really good.

Take care.

Thanks ladies. Your words are comforting to me as I really have never gone through this before.

I forgot to mention that hes stopped trimming his nails and falling over the odd time. Not completely over, but stumbling really.

I think I'll get a snuggle sack for him so I can spend extra time with my dear old man rat.

It's a good sign that he still has an appetite. He sounds comfortable. Falling over could mean some kind of neurological problem. Perhaps he is not able to hold and to chew hard food, and he lost weight as he began to have more difficulty. He's probably not active enough anymore to wear down his nails during his usual activities. At his age, it is not surprising.

You've obviously given him a great life so far! So I hope you get to enjoy some more good times with him. He can eat soft food and build nests quite happily for a while. Take care.

Back