Is there anything I can do to help the runt? (pic heavy)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minuke99

One of Poupet's babies is obviously not doing as well as his brothers and sister. he is much smaller, weaker, and does not have a milk band. His brothers and sister are very healthy and active, crawling all over the place and this poor guy just kind of lies around. Plus, I keep finding him seperated from the rest of his littler. Besides moving him back into the 'pack', is there anything else I can do?

To show the size difference:

100_3746.jpg

You can see the Big Boy is going to be a beautiful champagne hoodie like his mom.

other pics of the litter:

100_3745.jpg

100_3748.jpg

my girl, as yet un-named:

100_3747.jpg

My girl & one of her brothers:

100_3752.jpg

Poor itty bitty baby:

100_3742.jpg

OMG.. soooo cute.. i love the runts.. they always have a special place in my heart..
the dark girl.. for some reason the name francine popped into my head.. but im sure you will find a nice name for her as you will see her personality ...

I wasn't doing anything special for the runt. There seems to be a runt in every litter I have around here. You can try handfeeding him for a bit but I don't think it'll make much difference.

Also when you pick out names make sure they're french :wink2: , either names or objects.

sausage4ever said:
I wasn't doing anything special for the runt. There seems to be a runt in every litter I have around here. You can try handfeeding him for a bit but I don't think it'll make much difference.

Also when you pick out names make sure they're french :wink2: , either names or objects.

OK...but the girls who stay with me will have Japanese inspired names...Nez & Zumi come from "Nezumi" which means rat in Japanese.

I've been calling the biggest boy My little King, so he is now officially christened 'Le Petit Roi'

I believe that mom takes care of the babies as best she can and if there's a runt not doing well, there's probably a reason for it and so I wouldn't intervene. Hopefully he'll pick up and get stronger.

Good news...checked the babies tonight and the little guy has a bellie full of milk!!!
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

minuke99 said:
Good news...checked the babies tonight and the little guy has a bellie full of milk!!!
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Wonderful!!! One of our girls is a runt too, you just have to root for them :heart:

Back