Is the bedding I'm using safe?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratgirl101

I ran out of bedding for the ratties so I got a new brand. It is Kaytee Soft Granule Blend small pet bedding, and it is naturally scented with lavender. I am a bit concerned. The bag says it is safe, but I want to be sure. The bedding seems to have actual purple petals in it, as well as some purple balls, which I think gives the bedding the scent. I was worried that the rats would eat it, and they did. I put Fudge and Cupcake in, who both immediately began eating the bedding, and Cookie soon did, too. I know it is all natural but I just want to make sure is it safe. Does anyone know if this bedding is safe for my little guys?

If it helps, Fudge is about 26 months old and Cookie and Cupcake are about 14 months old, and it is their first time with this bedding. They did not attempt to eat the previous brand.

Thanks! :wink2:

I've seen that, and I personally would not use it for rats. The reason for this is because they have such sensitive respiratory systems, and are often very sensitive to smells. The lavender in that bag can be pretty strong.
The Kaytee granular bedding with out the lavender should be fine, if you can exchange it.

Thanks. I will watch them carefully and try to exchange it if I can. Fudge has had respiratory problems in the past and sneezes more often than the others, so maybe it seems like a good idea. Cookie seemed a bit resistant at first because of the smell, so it may be stronger than it seems.

Do you know if it's safe for them to eat it?

Even a change in laundry detergent can cause a issues, so I wouldn't do use it :) But in a pinch, not much you can do but get another bag of something else as soon as can!

Next time, try "Kaytee Soft Sorbent" the UNscented type. I really liked it back when I used bedding...
:)

Back