Is my rat pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey so as of last night Miss Mabel has bitten a total of three times! Nothing too terrible, but she did draw blood all three times. I'm a bit miffed because when she bit, we weren't really messing with the babies, she was trying to use some things for her nest that I didn't think was a good idea, such as a plastic bag which she placed right on top of her kids. She's been pretty nippy since the babs came, will she stop being such a tiny monster once the children have grown?

Please remove everything from the cage and her reach that she should not be using.
Paper towels are good as they don't have threads and will not stick to them when wet.

Some rats will nip or bite when their babies are young as they are protecting them
so yes, by the time they are 4 or 5 weeks old she will be back to her old self

Remove mama to a safe area to play with her sister for a short break from her babies,
and while she is gone you can handle the babies and clean the cage if needed

As SQ said... and yes, she should get back to her old self when the babies grow up, I went thru the same thing with my Serene..

Back