is it possible to be allergic to males but not females?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriin

i noticed that ever since i adopted quinn i've been sneezing like crazy and it really feels like allergies. slight burning of the eyes stuffy nose and super itchy where they have scratched me.(which i know mostly is because the urine irritates me.) but yeah i know its spring and all and allergy season but i've never had alergies before and i know you can develop them.. but still.
and i know im not sick because when i get sick i reallly get sick. i have a poor immune system.
so is this even possible to be alergic to one gender. or am i just because a wacko?

i have very wacky allergies, so I'm gonna say that it's probably possible. I'm highly allergic to tabby cats but i can tolerate long haired cats and even short haired cats that are a solid color, but if it has any tabby in it, i'm itchy and stuffy. my doctor said that it's got something to do with the oils in their fur. I'm willing to bet that you could be more allergic to one sex than you are to the other simply b/c of the scents they give off to attract the opposite sex maybe?

Yes, there is an allergin in the urine and it is strongest in unneutered boys.
Many find that neutered boys don't bother them as much.
I believe spayed girls are the easiest re allergies.

A permanent hepta air filter with replaceable carbon filters would likely help if it is impacting your breathing.

I found a scientific article once that stated that RUA (Rat Urinary Antigen), the antigen that causes allergies to rats, is 300x more concentrated in males than in females. I can't have males unless they are neutered, for that reason.

SQ said:
Yes, there is an allergin in the urine and it is strongest in unneutered boys.
Many find that neutered boys don't bother them as much.
I believe spayed girls are the easiest re allergies.

A permanent hepta air filter with replaceable carbon filters would likely help if it is impacting your breathing.

Oh wow, I had no idea about this. I just thought I felt worse around intact boys (before developing some immunity) due to the psychological factor - they have the strongest smell, and therefore I just associate their smell with my allergy and think I feel worse around them. I didn't realize they actually are more allergenic. That's kind of hilarious.

In three years I have been able to go from horrible wheezing after cleaning 1 cage for 2 boys, to what I was doing last night - cleaning 3 stinky cages of a total of 7 stinky intact males, completely wheeze/sneeze free. I am amazed at the drastic change that a few years of foolish, stubborn exposure has done for my allergy. It's virtually nonexistant now. So glad I'll be able to keep having stinky ole boys :nod:

thanks for all the great info guys! luckily my boy is neutered so if i am in fact allergic its not too bad. also my symptoms have only been limited to sneezing so that good and i can totally deal with that. ALTHOUGH i have thought about it. i'm only really sneezing at home so i just figured it was the new boy, but i live in a forested subdivision and i got him not long ago... when allergy season starts lol. so i have no real way of knowing right now. but i do have a feeling its a little bit him lol

but still thanks for everyones input. and SQ im going to look into the air purifier thing, i'm sure its beneficial allergies or now :)
im also going to change their bedding. i change it up all the time and try different stuff. and the kaytee bedding was on sale and i think its super dusty. and to say the least.. i hate it. but we'll see if thats helps as well!

I definitely recommend a HEPA air purifier. We have one running 24/7 in the apartment or else my highly allergic girlfriend would not be able to breathe! We have loads of boys (some neutered, some not) and she is more allergic to them than the females. I personally find the males smell better than the females, but that's beside the point. LOL

mia9_28 said:
I definitely recommend a HEPA air purifier. We have one running 24/7 in the apartment or else my highly allergic girlfriend would not be able to breathe!

Same here, my boyfriend is allergic to EVERYTHING animal. As long as I have the HEPA running he is ok, but even 10-15 minutes after I turn it off he has sneezing fits and starts to wheeze. It works wonders :)

Back