Is it better to have male or female rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lourice

I was put in the unfortunate position to rescue 2 male rats at separate times, and i now have to deal with keeping them in separate cages due to aggression. (until i try to intro them again when their neuters heal, of course)\

i want to have as few problems as possible when it comes to rats in the future, so i would like it know which gender is easiest to handle/take care of?

or at least, which do you prefer?

Neither are easier to care for. Both can be extremely hyper, extremely costly at the vet.

I try to avoid getting females unless they are already spayed, or are still young enough to benefit from the procedure. The three unspayed females I had all blew out with mammary tumors. Not fun at all.

I, too, doubt I'll have females again unless I can have them spayed. Partly because I don't want any 'oops' babies, but also because of the health benefits associated with spaying females. Other than that, I prefer males because they are quite a bit less hyper than females, although there are always exceptions (I had a girl who used to snuggle in my sweater).

I prefer male pets in general, simply because they are lazier and like to cuddle more.
I've only had one female so far and she is a lot of fun and I really enjoy her, but tumors are scary, and females are more prone to them.

I would most definitely get another female again, but my groups will always mostly be boys.

The only downside to boys is that they mark their territory everywhere and are hard to intro. Females are generally more active and don't fight as much. Spays cost more than neuters.

We all have our preferences.. there's no better sex with any pets, you just have to decide what you can't and can deal with (like mammary tumors in females or boys marking their territory) and the things you're looking for in rats (calm and cuddly or fun and active)

Both sexes have benefits and drawbacks. One isn't better or easier than another - I've had hard to intro boys and hard to intro girls. At least with boys you have a chance of things improving with a neuter, with females spays are much less likely to have an effect on behaviour (sometimes they do, but it's not very common). I tend to prefer boys but usually have them neutered, the three I have now are all in tact and that's the first time I've had in tact boys for any length of time.

I like my mixed colony, best of both worlds. But I did jsut wan tot chime in on the tumor thing. Both of my girls were unspayed for health reasons ( their sister bled out when the rescue got her spayed and so there was a fear of a blood clotting disease) Neither have had a tumor yet. La Jolla passed away but Roxy si still goign strong with no sign of mammary tumors. there is a possible tumor in her chest but thats unrelated but it may not be a tumor.. My boy is actually mt first tumor. so unspayed doesnt always mean tumors

I've only had females, but I love them.
Females are definitely more active and inquisitive and less chill. But I love how playful they are. It's really cute.
Some people say females are less affectionate, but I really beg to differ. I think it's just about exploring how your female rat likes to show affection.
One of my rats, she is plain old obvious with her affection. She loves to cuddle and sit on my shoulder and have me pet her for how ever long she can get it for.
My other one on the other hand "seems" like she doesn't like to be held or be pet...but I realized, she just likes to feel super secure and safe when being pet. So, I simply create sort of a cave with my arms and put her in it, then I put my head next to her body and then I pet her. She loves it. She bruxes like crazy and she nuzzles her head into my hands. it's so sweet.

I've never had (knock on wood) a problem with introductions, aggression, biting...with female rats. And they are definitely more petite and smaller than males.
I'm so curious to see what gender you get next! :D

I love my fuzzy boy toys! I've always had boys (with the except of one girl). Intros between intact males seem to be more difficult, but neuters can happen and help, and with patience they may not be necessary. Boys seem to mellow out more with age. I also like that boys don't *have* to be neutered - maybe for behavioral reasons, but it isn't a medical must. If I kept girls, I'd feel obligated to spay them no matter what to prevent mammary tumors, and that's simply an expense that I can't afford.

thegoldenrat said:
I've only had females, but I love them.
Females are definitely more active and inquisitive and less chill. But I love how playful they are. It's really cute.
Some people say females are less affectionate, but I really beg to differ. I think it's just about exploring how your female rat likes to show affection.
One of my rats, she is plain old obvious with her affection. She loves to cuddle and sit on my shoulder and have me pet her for how ever long she can get it for.
My other one on the other hand "seems" like she doesn't like to be held or be pet...but I realized, she just likes to feel super secure and safe when being pet. So, I simply create sort of a cave with my arms and put her in it, then I put my head next to her body and then I pet her. She loves it. She bruxes like crazy and she nuzzles her head into my hands. it's so sweet.

I've never had (knock on wood) a problem with introductions, aggression, biting...with female rats. And they are definitely more petite and smaller than males.
I'm so curious to see what gender you get next! :D

I agree! My females aresooo accectionate! Always licking and snuggling : ) The boys liek to nip instead of licka dn like to explor eLOL. My girl , if I say " kisses" and make kissy lips at her she will give me kisses on ym lips : ) and my fingers.

Back