Is depression setting in already ?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairebee1

Well its been around 32 hrs from novo lost his cagemate his only one.
And hes not touched his food only when i hand it to him he will eat.
Hes just sleeping all the time and only wants to come out when he wants to.
He was playing with my hand in his cage bruxing and boggling when i was stroking and talking to him is this a good sign or not?

I dont know what to do because my mom says no MORE rats even tho i dont live with her i live with my bf but my mom says he wont take to another rat because hes never seen one before only toto.
What am i ment to do ?
I dont want anymore because i dont know any breeders here only petstores where i got them from..
and i dont want to keep going in circles where one dies and one is left so on ... because its stressful on me and the lone rat!

Do you think he will come round?
Just please give me honest answers and your past experiances because im going out of my mind! :cry4:

I'm so sorry for you and novo. I would make sure I spend a lot of time with him and make sure he eats and drinks..Play with him and maybe carry him around with you. Our ratties do grieve for their buddies. How old is novo? I've never had a rat end up alone because I always make sure I get some before they pass. If you do get him a buddy, you could get two younger ones. That way they'll have each other. :hugs:

Can you get him to cuddle with you? like if you watch a movie or read a book. I think the most important is making sure he eats though. Have some of his favorite treats to give him.

Rats really do need other rats to be truly happy. But of course you can't keep going around in circles especially if you don't want to keep having rats. You should spend as much time as possible with him. The more you don't force him out, the more he will become depressed.
I knew of a person who only had one rat but that rat basically lived on that person, everywhere he went so did his rat. It's not ideal for the rat but better than spending hours alone.

Back