Irresponsible pet owners UGHHH

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat

This isnt about rats, but I guess it could be related, its about a baby ferret. I really need to vent. So my friend got a baby ferret, she lives on her own with two guy roomates (shes 19) and all they do all day is smoke marijuana, cigarettes, and drink. If they lived with no animals, I would just shrug it off, since its their life. But she recently got a baby ferret, its still very young, and she smokes pot with other people in the same room as the ferret, which makes me SOOOO MADDDDD because that it so unfair for the poor little baby :( Ive told her to stop, and have given her very serious talks about the health risks for the ferret, and im pretty sure some of her idiot friends would probably blow smoke in its face to see if it could get high too. Any ideas on how I could actually get her to stop? Because everything I say to her seems to go in one ear and out the other. I really want to just go to her house one time and steal the ferret, but it would be obvious that it was me -.- I just hate it when irresponsible people get pets thinking they are going to be easy and disposable when they get sick of them. And, prior to her getting a ferret she told me she wanted one for their cuteness, and i told her it was a huge responsibility and that she should look more into it, and even gave her sites and articles to read about ferret care. Because, I also wanted to get a ferret, but then i did my research and i knew i wouldnt be able to handle one at this point in time. And if i do say so myself, im a pretty responsible pet owner, and make sure my pets are getting the care and love they deserve, and it just pisses me off when people buy out of wanting something cute. And thats the end of my rant lol.

where does she live i will steal it for you :(
poor baby ... if she isnt going to look after the baby then ask her to give it up and if she wont give it up see if she is actully keeping on top of cleaning the cage and such and if worse comes to worse call the H.S :( other then that im not really sure on what to do..

That's horrible! I hate when people don't think of how their actions will effect anyone or anything else. I agree that you should call the H.S. or at least threaten, and see if she will give up the ferret to you... or even someone on craigslist or something... anything would be better. :rant:

If I lived on my own, I would have already stolen it from her, but I already have 4 rats, a cat, and a snake. And im surprised my mom let me have that. Im not sure what affects marijuana would have on a health basis for ferrets, like, can they be more prone to certain cancers or anything?

It sucks, but if the animal is in danger you might want to consider alerting the authorities for animal cruelty... It might force your friend and her friends to open their eyes and take a look at their lives and what they are doing to these animals. :sick2:

Breathing anything smoke is detrimental to the lungs. That poor animal. But it sounds like your friend is extremely irresponsible and won't do the right thing no matter what she is told. Also, stealing the ferret will only make her buy another one. :(

I have to agree with Jo, taking the animal will not make this better.
If she is not looking after the animal call the authorities about her drug use and also the animal protection people in your country ;)

Yeah, I never thought about that aspect >.< Well I'm going to her house probably Monday so Im going to take a look at the ferrets living conditions then. I also dont think she knows about ferret proofing so Ill have to talk to her about that...

My boyfriend smokes pot from time to time but he usually just do it his head outside the window so it doesnt go inside the house. But, he told me that smoke was going up when it was hot or something like that, I dont really remember it but enyways, he gave me this big scientific explanation of if he smokes his pot inside the same room of his rat, it wont affect him because it goes up and doesnt stay down. Enyways, maybe it is true BUT I still think it could be harmful to the rat. But I dunno anything about smoke so I have no idea.

I still don't let him smoke when my rats are there. :rant:

eepp...I've been lurking around for a while but this has made me register... yes the smoke will harm the ferret it will enter the ferret's system not only through inhaling it but through the mucus membranes and eyes... couldn't tell you straight of the bat what the end result will be but I'll as the vet when I go to work ...

VG

My boyfriend tried to blow pot smoke in one of our rats faces before but I told him not to. He did it anyways (hard headed boy) but when he did the rat ran away and he stopped and felt bad about it. He wont do that anymore to his boy.

shade said:
My boyfriend tried to blow pot smoke in one of our rats faces before but I told him not to. He did it anyways (hard headed boy) but when he did the rat ran away and he stopped and felt bad about it. He wont do that anymore to his boy.

If anyone tried to blow smoke in my rats face, on purpose. Well they would have an axe in there throat.

Tory said:
shade said:

If anyone tried to blow smoke in my rats face, on purpose. Well they would have an axe in there throat.

Agreed... Ive actually gotten my mom to start smoking outside for my cats and rat's health

Tory said:
shade said:

ROFL!! my sentiments exactly. :lol:

Back