Intros - UPDATE: pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cityratt

So...I have everyone scheduled in for neuters (finally after saving up after all of Tess' unexpected vet bills! :sick2: )!
But I was just wondering on everyones opinion....
Goose and Dewey are my two young'ins from Taras litters....and Smee and Cap'n are from Clarks....
They all seem like such easy going boys, and I really want to intro them now...but really, should i wait until post-surgery for boy intros?

If things go poorly while they are intro'ed while intact will it make it harder to intro them afterwards?

I CANT wait until everyone can live together!!!!

If it was me I would start now....especially if they seem like easy going fellows......
Others can advise better on this subject then me...but that is what I would do.........

If it doesn't seem to go good you can always wait until after and start again...
How do they seem with cages close to one another...or switching bedding back and forth...or exploring in each other cages?...if all that is going good I would try them all on a neutral area....

I'd definately start now.

Shouldn't be hard to do after the neuters either, but I'd definately get them out on neutral ground now. Then they can cuddle together after their surgeries.

Same here, no harm in starting now and it will definitely not hinder any chance of a successful intro later should there be a bad intro now.

:bunnydance: Well, I cleaned out both boy cages today, so I had all the kids in the bathroom with me....and it went REALLY REALLY WELL!!!

I'll have to take some pictures later of everyone, because its quite funny seeing lil Goose and Dewster up beside Clarks big rat men

Goose pinned one of the Himi's and then they proceeded to box for a while, which i ultimately broke up (it went on for a long time...so i split em up before it got more heated then it needed to) and they buggered off and were cuddling after

I'm so happy it went well! :bunnydance:

Dahlas said:
That is great news....but what...not pictures.....thats not fair.

Im going to take them out after i eat some dinner and take some pics of them on the couch Dahlas - dont worry - you'll get your pics!

I just wanted to make sure i had a hand free to split anything up if it went horriably wrong...seeing as there were 7 of them and one of me :wink:

Oh I understand that...when I add anyone to my kids........ I always think about how many there are if things go wrong....but they are all so easy going

Ugh i think i spoke too soon....
I had them out on the couch and the biggest Himi really went at Dewey :( He was chasing after him and Dew was submitting but the big guy wouldn't give it up.
So then I took the Himis away (because they're making their way to Stratford anyway) and after comforting Dewey for a little gave the other boys some babyfood and let Goose and Dewey hang out with their new big brothers Smee and Cap'n.
Smee got a little puffy for a bit, but then it all dropped, and eventhough they were all a little wary there were no more tiffs...which makes me happy

I took some pics and will post em in a bit but need to eat first lol

There were no bites that I could actually see, but there were poor clumps of Dewey fur strewn about :( I know its how they work it out but its still hard to see my lil Dewey baby doing all he can not to be bothered and still getting picked on

I don't think I would have the himis included in the intros especially since they are not staying with you. It will just create havoc if they do settle up now and then have to start all over again when they leave.

Yea, thanks Jo.....
I guess i was thinking about if stressing out Smee and Cap'n by taking them away from their brothers....but they seem to be ok with just the little boys....
and things did go really well this morning so...i guess i cant get all wrapped up in one little tiff...

Would you guys recommened shorter or longer sessions? I think we're going to go back to the bathroom, because there is more room in there, and they seemed less stressed overall versus when they were on the couch

I always do my intros for an hour, if things go well in the first 20 minutes. I like to see how the rats behave when they get tired and frustrated.

as always, thanks Jo

The squabbles started later on in the second intro too...so i guess thats a somewhat good sign that they happened when everyone was feeling a little tireder...

Exactly! If the squabbles are in the first 10 minutes, then you know it's going to be a long one. But if they start later, then it's just them having had enough.

PICTURES!
not too many, and not great...but there here lol....

I'll continue to update with more pics and how things are going if you all would like :wink2:
(bearing in mind that this was the first intro where I had the Himi's out - that wont be happening again as they're going home soon!)
Cap'n and his large himi bro
IMG_3127.jpg

Smee
IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

Dewey and Smee enjoying a snack
IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

cozy cappie
IMG_3144.jpg

Back