intros : old lady and younger man rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
That's not aggression, that's fear. How odd that PC would be scared of Skittles.

That is good to know....... I know they did it but I didnt know it was fear.

hopefloats said:
jorats said:
That's not aggression, that's fear. How odd that PC would be scared of Skittles.

Peggy, yours is different. Huffing and puffing is stress and some anxiety. But the freeze and light cry is fear.

jorats said:
hopefloats said:
jorats said:

Peggy, yours is different. Huffing and puffing is stress and some anxiety. But the freeze and light cry is fear.

Mine is always different... :) LOL

I can see the fear with the freezing, i have seen a few cower in fear.

My gear gets all anxious and upset when the cat goes near my cage, all his huffing and puffing... I know he would attack the cat if he could.

fear. that is surprising! Maybe I shouldn't have separated them when PC made the huffing sounds.. It's pretty tense watching the two of them stare at each other nose to nose, and PC huffing.. but maybe next time I should just take a deep breath and wait to see what's next. (fingers crossed) kinda scary..

I'm not sure why PC would be afraid of Skittles. The only thing I can think of is that Skittles lately has been coming to me during their playtime, and staying close to me. Seems to need my attention, so I give her lots of pets and kisses. Assuming that sends the signal that she's part of my tribe, i.e. alpha.. but it doesn't stop PC from other aggression towards her, i.e. nipping at her feet again. He seems to have renewed his aggression this week. I'm not sure why. I'm somewhat mystified.

I wonder if he's very bothered by her tumours. It could be that she's giving off a scent now, especially if there's infection somewhere.

It's a good question. As far as I can tell, no infections. Skittles seems fine. But her tumors are growing and are pretty big.

I also wondered if PC is bothered by something. He still has a boo boo on his toe, but doesn't appear bothered by it. He's been looking for more attention this week, and has been all around more aggressive this week too. (fighting more with his cagemate). This started a few days before he finished his meds.

no symptoms of buggies.. so I'm thinking over points already mentioned.

re: could Skittles be giving off a scent due to the tumors
A rat's sense of smell is far better than mine, so it's possible that Skittles could be giving off a scent that I can't detect.. I have noticed a bit of a urine smell on her lately. She's a bit incontinent, and 'though she's grooming a lot, it'd be impossible for her to be free of the smell I think.

re: is something wrong with PC
I haven't seen any symptoms of pain and he looks overall okay. When he and Trust were out this evening, at one point, I noticed two pin-head sized droplets of blood on the sofa. I have no idea which of them it came from, and I examined them both after finding it, and found no wounds.

Interestingly, this week, while PC has been aggressive with other rats, he's been more affectionate with people.

Not sure yet what's happening... I'll keep observing..

Back