Intros-How far do I let the squabbling go? Success!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried the bathtub? I didn't really have a neutral place in my house since the main room is their play area (bachelor) and the bedroom is a no-no zone because of asthma and allergies issues. So i did what i was told to try and it worked like a charm! :D It WAS a re-intro tho...

First i let them out (one at the time) to tire them out a bit.
I put a towel in the bathtub and turned up the heat not to get their little paws cold and put some water and treats in there (rat junkfood mix). I put both of them in there and kept an eye, they were scared more then anything i think. Their eyes were huge and Crank let out quite a few poopies but after 5-10 minutes they calmed down (a bit) and ate some junkfood. Then i started to add some hiding places and toys for them to sniff at which they did. They were next to each others the whole time and not once did they think of attacking. Crank groomed Pickle a bit and the only complain i heard is when Crank put his paw on Pickle for one second not to loose balance. lol

So i decided they were ready to put back in the big cage and they went back to their usual spot and took a nice long nap!
I haven't heard any squeaking of fighting since! :D

That sounded too easy ATez! LOL

I moved the cage out of its corner and set up a play area. The first time I just moved the cage over a bit but left it in the same room. My mama rat Jazzy could smell it though, and after about half an hour she just kept trying to get to the cage, so I caved and let her go back. She gets along well with the babies anyway, so I wasn't too concerned.
Yesterday I was cleaning the cage, and I had them out of the cage climbing on it. A couple of babies went into the cage and then a big one, so I watched and even though there were a few scuffles, all in all it wasn't so bad. Eventually the only one missing was miss cranky pants, Tia.
Today I moved the cage out of the room and set up a play area in the cage's spot. Everyone has been out for 3 hours now, and there has been the odd tiff, but things are really quiet now and it's snooze time.
I think before I was interefering too much, and bringing the wrong energy. I was the firm, 'hey, don't pick on them!' energy, instead of the calm, soothing, "I love everyone equally" energy. I will wait until the weekend and then try them together in the same cage. That way I can sleep on the couch and hear if someone's getting killed. Hopefully it will go OK as they have been getting to know each other for quite some time.
Thanks for all your suggestions!

OK, so I bit the bullet today and took apart the double Critter Nation, washed everything, and put it back together in a different order. Then I added rats and waited for the fur to fly. There were a few squabbles and a few chases, but I didn't notice any blood, so Yay! Right now everything is quiet, but I think things are still a bit tense. Hopefully they will relax in the next couple of days...

Everyone is still alive as far as I can tell, and no blood, so at this point I am calling it a success... They were all sleeping when I got home at lunch, in two mixed bags. :)

Good for you! every single time I think about intros I wanna cry! glad it worked out well for you, we did not have as much luck, now everyone's sick so i have to put off the neuters.

hopefloats said:
Good for you! every single time I think about intros I wanna cry! glad it worked out well for you, we did not have as much luck, now everyone's sick so i have to put off the neuters.
Don't give up hope though! I had my little ones for two months before I put all of them together in the same cage. It has been a long, slow road. I guess I was worried because my older group of rats never fights. The most I would hear is a little squeak when someone was groomed too hard - that was as intense as it got. So to have boxing and puffyness and chasing is all new to me. I'm sticking to my guns though...

good, I have thoughts on if i should of or not, but that is another story I love seeing success stories.. I hope it keeps going well for you!

Well, it has been a couple of weeks and there have been no major injuries and only the odd chase scene :giggle:

Nothing brings a family together like food:

P1000921_1.jpg

That picture is great Joanne :) You give me hope for when I get my guys together after the neuters

Back