Intros again

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I've decided to try and intro Radar/Isabelle to the young cage. First day was today. I put them in neutral area, with a big dish of Ensure to coax them to be together. Things went well, a wee bit of "who do you think you are" and "how dare you be close to me" but nothing major. I am quite pleased. If anything, out of the whole group, Isabelle was the one that was upset about this. We'll see if tomorrow goes as well.
I've taken some pics:

Ensure for everyone:

Intros01_edited-1.jpg

Radar and Davis meet:

Intros03_edited-1.jpg

Just playing about:

Intros02_edited-1.jpg

Intros04_edited-1.jpg

Intros05_edited-1.jpg

Intros06.jpg

Aw looks like everything is going ok! I love the picture of Davis and Radar! Who's the digging escape artist in the background!? Captain? Ah i don't know i can only recognise Radar, Isabelle, Rylee, Davis, Jorge, Cande, and ANDYYYY Smooooooch xx

Yesterday, I almost decided to quit. But I'm glad I tried it again today. Yesterday Radar was so stressed out. Whining, squeaking, chattering, jumping, extremely stressed out. It broke my heart but I tried it today and he was much better. He even ventured out near the other rats, exploring even! It's looking good!!!

Good to hear your intros are going well! on the last picture the agouti on top of the red thing, is he puffed up or just that big? lol so cute.

Today, I kept them together in the playpen for over 2 hours. All went well! Yay... so far so good. :D If this continues, Monday they will move in together.

HEHE I get the feeling Nessie likes to be in charge.

That's great about he intros. How's Captain doing after his neuter? What about the rest of them.

Oh god, Captain is the happiest boy ever!! He's out and about, never hides, plays with the other rats. Best thing I ever did was have them neutered. I don't think it was necessary to have him neutered but it feels good to have the whole gang done.

Davis is now sweet as pie. He plays all the time. Before the neuter, he had taken over as alpha. Three times he almost bit me but changed his mind when he realized it was my hand. I couldn't touch his back end without him doing a full flip and ready to box. Now, if I touch his back end, he popcorns, runs away and comes back. He's so happy now. So the alpha is Jorge again but not in a bad way at all.

Today was the big day. But cage clean up... set up the triple FN back to how it should be, now accommodating 12 rats. Radar and Isabelle are settling nicely.

Here are pics of the cage:

bigcage2_edited-1.jpg

bigcage_edited-1.jpg

I remember when I first got Radar, I was very worried that he might have stayed a lone rat. I really struggled with the idea of having him neutered since he was already an older boy. I had him neutered and still, he wasn't all that receptive to new rats except for Isabelle. Those two took together so fast. Isabelle taught him how to be with other rats. It warms my heart to see him snuggled in a pile of rats.

Back