Introductions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kioux

Hi,

so I just joined Rat Shack when someone from Goosemoose told me there is a lot more Canada going on here.
I am a first time rat owner and until yesterday I had to beautiful boys, Kiran and Tosh. I bought them early June from a pet store (yes, I am aware - worst choice ever) - Kiran was 6 months old and Tosh 3 months. They were huddled together so it was kind of a package deal.

We have been having some issues with respiratory infections, and my little boy Tosh was always a little sickly - possibly even handicapped. My vet said that he might have had an infection early in his life that affected his brain. So he was never as agile and secure as Kiran, couldn't see at 100% but he was vivid and not less adventurous.

But over the last weeks, Tosh took a turn for worse and yesterday, after rushing him to my vet in the morning - I went back to the emergency clinic that afternoon. He was lethargic, had seizures and started to ooze brownish liquid from his mouth. When there, my worst fears came true. He had an utterly severe attack and his lungs were filled with liquid and mucus. They told me that they could try to hospitalize him for 2 days, provide him with oxygen and so on, but that the chances were quite low that he would make it. So I made the utterly difficult decision to had him put to sleep. It went really quickly and if there is one thing I swore to myself - my pets would never suffer. He had only a short 9 months long life but I like to believe that he had a good life.

So, now it is only Kiran and me. Kiran is not an overly tame or human-cuddling guy. He hates being picked up, but we are getting along. Despite the that, he comes to get his treats, will only eat baby food or wet prescription food from my finger (forget the plastic spoon) and will joyfully climb up my arm. He is a bit of a skittish guy but very active, so he never actually stays on my shoulder for long. He climbs to a point when he almost falls down, knowing that I am gonna bend down so he can stay on my back and have me move backwards towards the couch. So yeah, that's the two of us and we are looking for new companions, so that he isn't alone when I have to go to work.

Thanks for having us.

Hi and welcome.

I'm so sorry about your little Tosh. It sounds like he had a lot going on. While his life was short, I'm sure you made the months he was with just wonderful for him.

Will you be getting Kiran a friend(s)? Rats are very social creatures and need rat companionship. Folks here can help you figure out what works best and how to introduce them if you go that route.

Thank you and thank you.
I like to believe that I provided him with a good home. My mother was laughing when I told her I always kept the best small chicken parts for the boys.
But yes, I miss him, but at the same time, I cannot forget about my big one and I absolutely want to get him new companions. I am just not really prepared.
I have a Critter Nation single unit and an additional crappy starter kit cage - and I just know little about introducing new boys to my big guy. I have little neutral ground, since my big ones owns the apartment but I suppose a freshly made bed (he gets on there very rarely) or the dinner table should do. I also don't have a complete separate space for quarantine. Since I was considering Montreal SPCA - I will have to ask, if they already performed quarantine.
Additionally, I am currently waiting for a response from the clinic I went to with Tosh for the last time - I have more trust in their capabilities than my last vets - considering all that has happened. Once I get the OK for Kiran, I will start looking for more boys.
I was considering to get an addon unit for my CN, because I heard it could be used well for introductions - as long as the way between the lower and upper unit is closed off. That way they can get used to the scent and presence, without being able to have a go at each other.
I also read about cleaning everything, and maybe even adding a bit of vanilla extract to all of the rats to hide their scent. Not sure if that will work or not. But I have the feeling I need to get this on the road quickly, since my big boy didn't even leave the cage once today and that is utterly unusual for him.

So yes, all in all, I am a little overwhelmed because I didn't expect having to do this so quickly.
If you have any tips or hints, I would gladly hear them because no matter what, I want Kiran and our possible new family members to have a good life.

Welcome! How close are you to Montreal and Ottawa? They always have plenty of rats and some people at the Montreal SPCA can help choose companions that is a good fit for your boy. There is also Ottawa pet rat rescue in Ottawa, you can find them on Facebook. They are very knowledgable and can help you as well.
Getting an add on is awesome but for two rats or three rats, some might say overkill. As for me, I'd say that cage would end up being a palace for the three. :) Bigger is always better with rats. haha I have a lot of knowledge in intros, I can definitely help you there.

Welcome, you're not too far from me :) finally someone else from Quebec. I just adopted a boy from a college in Sherbrooke. A lab rat that needed a second chance :)

Can't wait to hear more about your adoption. This is a great place to learn

Hey you two and thanks so much for the feedback.
With all that has been going on over the last two weeks, I completely forgot to update.
I used all the energy and got in contact with the Ottawa Pet Rat Rescue. Filled out my adoption form, had a nice long call with them and also a house visit.
As luck would have it, two little boys need a new home and if the weather plays a long, I will get them tomorrow.
If they sit sill enough, I will update with pictures soon and give feedback on the introduction progress. Since they are still young (both about 3 months) - we are hoping that things will go smoothly. If not, well then I will have to make a new appointment with my vet for neutering Kiran.
Besides that, at 6:30 pm on Tuesday, I finally got my addon unit - yay. It will work as the second cage for the babies during the introduction and when this is done, it will be part of Rat-Castle. And my mother actually sent me a rat hanging bridge and a wooden ratty house all the way from Germany. Talk about support!

By the way, the most adorable thing really - my new vet actually sent me a condolence card for my little Tosh. While it got me to cry again, it also really touched me. That was such a nice thing to do.
Thanks again for all the feedback and the warm welcome, I really appreciate.

And rats en folie - I really know the feeling. For the longest time, it felt like I was the only rat parent in Quebec. Thus I am really glad to meet you. :)

Oh and Merry Christmas to you and your ratties.

Last edited:
So - yesterday, the two boys arrived.
Originally named Jeremy and Pascal, I decided to rename them. While I cannot tell you exactly why I chose these names - well, they just kinda popped into my head when I saw them - meet Amon (orig. Jeremy, white) and Oberon (orig. Pascal, brown).
So, here are some pictures of the baby boys with Kiran (big white one :D ) during our fourth intro.

We had some minor scuffles and a bit of squeaking but nothing major. Today, during the last intro (no. 4) Kiran actually laid down in front of the box that Amon was hiding in. No puffed up fur or anything - just laid there, so I am hoping that is a good sign.
We'll continue to work on the intros, and once the scuffles have subsided completely, the clean up and move in action will start.

Thanks again so much for all the support - and also thanks to the OPRR for helping me meet the boys. I will do what I can to provide them with a good and happy rat life.
P_20141228_204424_NT.jpg

P_20141228_201442.jpg

P_20141228_202352_NT.jpg

P_20141228_202334_NT.jpg

Back