Introductions with Sally, Josie and Polly

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramma2jaakk

This week we have been introducing Sally, Josie and Polly. Now that we have Sally back in the big cage, we are wanting to get all 6 of the girls in that cage. Makes it so much easier to clean one cage instead of 3 cages of different sizes. Plus, Polly has been with us for a month now and needs to get into a family. Since she is an older girl, and Sally and Josie are also older girls, it only makes sense to get those three together.

Introductions started Friday evening, after Polly's vet visit to say she was healthy and ready for introes. Things the first night were a bit bossy, Polly wanted to make sure that Sally and Josie weren't going to try to be alpha with her, but Josie is the alpha and quickly put Polly in her place. Not too much squealing, mostly pinning Polly down. Sally was a tattle-tale a few times, squeeking and climbing on my shoulder for reassurance.

The scene Saturday evening was calmer. There was no scuffling, no nips, no pinning, no squeeking, no tattling. There were playful chases, stealing cheerios, climbing on my shoulder to brux. One time all 3 were on my shoulders and behind my neck, all bruxxing and pushing each other to get the best spot and as close to me as they could.

I really think Polly will be a wonderful addition to my older girl group. The 3 of them seem to be getting along really well, but we are going to give them another week of introes just to make sure they are getting on like we are seeing right now.

Sally and Polly look like they could be sisters from the way their hair looks. They have very similar poor-rex (bad rex) hair. They are so cute together, and are even grooming each other when on out-of-cage time. Crossing fingers things continue this way!

Anita

Sounds to me like these three are already friends. When rats steal food from the mouth, if no huge fight start out of that, then they are pretty docile rats.

Back