Introductions a bit on the aggressive side :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everexanimate

Well, I'm working on introducing the babies Lilly and Luna to the big girls today. They're crawling all over me and the computer on the bed as I speak lol.

So far they haven't met all of the girls yet. Most of them are taking to the babies nicely. But I am having a bit of trouble with a few acting aggressive towards them. Hissing, lunging, tail whipping. I'm watching their interactions VERY carefully and so far there haven't been any screams (just slight squeaks) and no blood drawn or anything serious. It's just scary to watch because it looks like someone is going to get hurt :(

I'm guessing that this behavior is common among more dominant rats? Should I just keep close watch and wait it out?

And what are signs that it's getting serious and they should be seperated? I've never introduced babies this young into the group.

They are in a seperate cage by the way. They're just interacting with the other rats on the bed during playtime. Just thought I should mention that.

Many people suggest waiting until babies are 9 or 10 weeks old before physically introing them withadults so they are big enough to defend themselves.

Hissing, lunging, tail whipping
They say, no blood, no foul ... but I would back up a step in the intro process and go a bit slower.

Are they displaying aggressive behaviour when in nearby cages or when you exchange cloths between cages? If so, they are not yet ready for intros in neutral territory ...

Are they displaying aggressive behaviour when you are doing intros in neutral territory?
If so, then they are not yet ready for intros in nonneutral territory (such as their play area)

I agree with waiting for the babies to be slightly older... I would do it at 8 weeks. Sorry, can't remember how old your sweeties are.

But so far so good... if you feel nervous, they may feel that. You can go slower if you are more comfortable.

I agree with SQ and Jo, your little smeezers are only 5 weeks old, right? I would definitely wait until atleast they are 9 weeks old and able to contend better with the adults. Setting the cages within a very close distance of eachother, but not close enough to where a tail can be bitten...is a great idea because it helps them get used to the newcomers scents. Bathtub intros are the best way for me-because you can keep an eye on everyone and their are no escapees and fights are easily broken up. I also found that later on, when you do add the babies to the cage, try adding some baby hides. I used an applesauce jar with the opening facing a corner and it was held in place with a bungee cord-that way when the baby needs to hide they can seek refuge in the jar and the adults cannot fit. Worked like a charm. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone!

I will definitely wait a while before trying the intros again. Probably til 10wks just to be safe. The cages are in the same room though so until they get a bit older they can all get used to each other's scent.

Back