Introduction

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primobellator

Hi I'm Bruno. Just recently got a new Fancy rat (Merlin) for my birthday. It took a lot to convince my roommate. I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to have one. But on my birthday my roommate (I know!) surprised me by taking me to choose one. Now he loves Merlin. I picked him because like me he was the rowdiest of the crowd. And he stood out. Had him since Dec 15th. Just upgraded his cage tonight. Thanks for letting me be part of this community. Still learning about proper care. Tips welcomed.

Welcome! First and most importantly, he needs to have another rat companion! It is extremely important for his health and well being that he has a cage-mate. Oh and don’t worry, it won’t take away from your bond at all. You’ll just have twice the love!

Welcome! First and most importantly, he needs to have another rat companion! It is extremely important for his health and well being that he has a cage-mate. Oh and don’t worry, it won’t take away from your bond at all. You’ll just have twice the love!
Thank you. I have heard of that. I'll be getting one here shortly. Next month perhaps. I'm transferring jobs so now I have plenty of off time to interact with him and keep him busy. But I definitely plan on getting him a companion. Already been researching best method to introduce them since Merlin will be the boss man between them too. :)

Thank you. I have heard of that. I'll be getting one here shortly. Next month perhaps. I'm transferring jobs so now I have plenty of off time to interact with him and keep him busy. But I definitely plan on getting him a companion. Already been researching best method to introduce them since Merlin will be the boss man between them too.

Hi Brno !

Welcome!
Hope you check out the different sections because there is a lot of helpful info and ideas on this site.

no matter how much time you spend with him, he still needs a friend as soon as possible .....
Please go back and get one (or 2) of his brothers asap, waiting is not a good idea .......

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy3bMRuobE[/ame]

If he is under 12 weeks old and you get another same sex rat under 12 weeks old, then they can be put together .....
Otherwise, there are gradual intro steps that need to be followed so that no one is hurt or killed because rats are territorial
For information on intros see http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368 and joinrats.com

all the best

Last edited:
Hi Brno !

Welcome!
Hope you check out the different sections because there is a lot of helpful info and ideas on this site.

no matter how much time you spend with him, he still needs a friend as soon as possible .....
Please go back and get one (or 2) of his brothers asap, waiting is not a good idea .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy3bMRuobE

If he is under 12 weeks old and you get another same sex rat under 12 weeks old, then they can be put together .....
Otherwise, there are gradual intro steps that need to be followed so that no one is hurt or killed because rats are territorial
For information on intros see http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368 and joinrats.com

all the best
His brothers were sold last week were there. They have normal rats not fancy. They're slightly smaller. Thank you. Next pay period I'm getting one. He's very friendly. I know he's from a pet shop. But they did know their stuff unlike some shops. He socialized at the first day. Just bit anxious from being in a new place. But compared to what I've heard from others he's done amazingly well. We're just finishing up his new big cage. He shows no signs of hostility. But I do think he needs a buddy too. I'll be getting him one. Great video by the way. He's how asleep in his tube. He stayed up all night playing.

Welcome! And congRATS! It's really important that your little guy has a friend. I'm happy to read that you will get him a buddy.

Back