Introduction Questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangishPinkishBlue

I got my new babies today! I tried for a quick meet-and-greet but something weird happened...

Introduction questions ahoy!

Alright so I'm introducing my two new girls (Eleanor and Able) to my old girl (Delilah)

When I did intros, I had them on my bed. Able and Delilah were fine, ignored eachother, some dominating behaviors towards Able, but Able didn't seem to mind and went on about her buisness.
HOWEVER
When introducing Del to Eleanor?

Delilah did several things and I think one is a sign of aggression, but I'm not sure about the rest?

There was a couple moments where Ele was pushed onto her back and groomed and gave some protesting squeaks with kicks and shoves (That's normal, right?)

Then Del bounced away, but came back a second later and 'scruffed' Ele?
She grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and tried to pull her towards her, then started grooming again. That's aggression, I'm sure of it.

However, Del also kept swinging her but around and it looked like she was prancing? Her back would arch and she'd swing her butt over Eles head and 'sit on her' and would also walk funny (almost like a waddle but had her tummy high up off the ground)

It's only the first day and I'm not giving up, but I don't understand Dels body language. some help?

Are you sure Elenor is female? The arched back, the prancing, that's a girl in heat. It sounds like Del wanted Elenor to give her some loving.
No aggression there.

lol That's good! So Delilah is feeling quite comfortable with both of them and has even engaged them in her romantic play. I would do intros with all three.

Okay I tried again. No fighting no squeaking everyone gets along great... Except Delilah keeps dragging the other rats! Sheisn't scruffing now, she'll grab onto limbs, skin, anything. And she doesn't break skin, the other rats don't even look like they're being hurt (They try to walk away, but no squeaking or screaming). Why is she trying to drag them around?

I've seen many mom rats do this to their older kids. It's definitely a maternal thing. She will keep doing it until the new rats will stand up to her. It's just a matter of time. Not something I would worry about.

Back