Introduction question - 6 neutered boys living with one girl

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewi

Yesterday I adopted a 3 month old female rat from a local rat rescue. She is intact and currently in heat (or whatever it's called in rats). It's actually funny and cute when she flutters her ears.

Is is okay to introduce her to 6 neutered very laid back male rats (the boys are 12 months old). Neil (husband) thinks it might be too much for her living with 6 males. What do you guys think? Will her being in heat be a problem?

BTW, the little girl will be speyed in 2 to 3 weeks time.

Thanks!

I'd give it a try. I don't think it should be any problem at all. I've started intros with unspayed girls to my big colony with several neutered boys. It went well, the girls are slowly all getting spayed. My last two are going in tomorrow.
CongRATS on the new little girl!!!

Thanks Jo. I think the boys will love having a little sister. It was an unplanned adoption and when I get the time I'll post pictures of all my rats, unfortunately that won't be for another 4 weeks!

I hope your girls have a quick recovery from their spey. I'm sure it'll go very well.

Back