Introduction fighting. Not sure when to intervene

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Brittany, Dec 21, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Dec 21, 2018 #1

Brittany

Brittany

Brittany

Hey!

I recently adopted a 7-month old female, Hana, who has been living alone up until this point. After quarantining I have been slowly introducing her to my two other girls Ame and Yuki who are just over a year old.

I started with having the cages about 6 inches apart and swapping items back and forth every day so the girls could smell and see each other. After 4 or 5 days of this I introduced them in the bathtub, which went well with my resident girls pretty much ignoring Hana the whole time. The second time there was some aggression:

- after a couple of minutes Hana and Yuki were facing off between each other with puffed up fur and arched backs. They then reared up on their hind legs and 'boxed' before sort of exploding into a rat scuffle. I separated them immediately but am not sure if this is something I need to let them sort out as I have heard elsewhere you only need to intervene if there's blood. Is this true?

-Hana also puffed up and was backing her butt into Ame, my other resident rat. I heard this was a bad sign of aggression but Ame didn't respond back aggressively. Do I intervene in cases like this?

I want to make sure I do intros right and am just overwhelmed with knowing what is good and bad behaviour. I don't want this intro to fail. Any advice is very much appreciated!

2. Dec 22, 2018 #2

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

I wouldn't call it aggression. They are both standing their ground and need to establish the rules. I normally break up scuffles only if it goes into a big ball of fur flying. Otherwise, I let them sort it out.

3. Dec 22, 2018 #3

Brittany

Brittany

Brittany

I did intros in the bathtub again and let them sort it out. They were much more relaxed this time around - no puffiness, just some intense grooming and butt sniffing. Thanks for the advice.

4. Dec 22, 2018 #4

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Great!