introducing male to females

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkies_mama

We will be getting Jack neutered next week, and I know how to introduce and to wait three weeks so he's not fertile anymore... I was wondering if there was anything special I should know or do when introducing a male into a group of females?
Also, I know this is a dumb question, but we do individual introductions correct? Don't just throw them all together? I could see some problems there... :giggle:
Thank you!

I never do individual intros. I prefer the whole group because in that group, there are stable rats that will send a happy message to the new guy which could balance out the bad messages from the stressed out rats.
Make sure it's on neutral ground first for a few days and then move it to familiar ground for another few days, then scrub down the cage and add them in.

I always do group intros as well.
step 1 is cages near one another and exchange of cloths.
then, as jorats said, neutral ground, familiar ground and finally cage scrub down and together.
Each stage may last a very short time or take awhile. If they are showing signs of aggression toward one another they are not yet ready for the next stage.
Each time they are put together, they should be together for at least 20 to 30 minutes. And you need to do intros every day.

We do group intro's too. And I may just be lucky, but we've never had a problem adding a neutered male to a group of girls. Unless of course, you have a real alpha female, who can be a bit snotty.

If you worry about anything, worry about the girls picking on HIM, rather than the other way around. :wink2:

He may just settle right in with his new harem :heart:

Back