Introducing LILY

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Ok everyone. As you know I was heartbroken after giving up Jack. So as friends of friends who normally have rats didn't have any and I was venturing to Sudbury this weekend. Sunday I made a trip to Petsmart. Don't yell at me. Anyways I went in and they had about 13 young rats. The associate told me 6 months, but they are smaller then mine so I said probably 4.5-5 months. Anyways the associate was amazing and I went in behind the cages and she opened them up for me. I was trying to find one that I could connect with or have it be comfortable. Well so many choices I picked so many up. Finally the associate picked up this little fawn (I think it's called fawn) barebacked hooded with DARK red eyes. I had fallen in love with her through the glass but I didn't want to have that hinder my choice. Well I will be darned if she didn't curl in and then start to brux as I was holding her. She then climbed up on my shoulder and started to brux again. I was in awe. The associate asked me what the noise was because hers makes it too and she didn't know.... I told her that the rat is happy when they make this noise and she smiled. I turned to her and said "I am taking this one, she chose me". I walked out of Petsmart with Lily (I knew already what she was to be called) on my shoulder. She likes to be picked up and is just the biggest sweetie imaginable. She healed my broken heart.

She faired the 3 hour drive wonderfully, most of the time out and the rest of the time under the blanket with her head out where she could see me (she sat in the front seat).

I am so in love with this little girl, she will make a nice addition.

So here are the pictures, hard to see her a bit as she was in the cage. But we'll get more, don't you worry.

Lily004Small.jpg

Lily003Small.jpg

Lily002Small.jpg

Lily001Small.jpg

Aww Lily is so pretty, I love her name. They don't keep their rats that long here, she's probably just 6 weeks to a couple of months.

Lily and I say thank you for all the kind comments.

I am just in awe of her. She's easy to take out of the cage. She loves to sit on your shoulder. In the store she didn't want to go back into the cage, she was just content to sit with me... She's amazing.

That is a wonderful story. I am glad you found Lily. :) The other three girls are in good hands and just remember Mamarat you have to post pictures for Michelle. I am sure that this situation has made everyone happy.

Ann

LA said:
Sunday I made a trip to Petsmart. Don't yell at me.
Ok, I'm Yelling at you!!!! :tantrum:
She's precious!!!!, she's beautiful!!!. She's as deserving of your adoration and care as any!!!!

done yelling.

You know why it's not good to encourage breeding for pet stores when so many are homeless. And you would suggest & recommend it to anyone soon as I would, right?
Anyway, don't be apologetic about Lily. You kinda make me think of a woman who lost a pregnancy she wanted very badly and went and bought a baby on the street (Lol, that's not meant badly, just just makes me want to hug you).

Welcome Home Lily!
Congratulations LA!

Hope you have a long lovely time together.

I did want to find one to adopt. Melissa had decided to keep the others. Maybe she would have given me the one I liked but they were ready too late. We are going on holidays in mid Septemeber and we wanted a long time to quarentine and introduce. Also getting to Toronto posed a problem for me. I looked at other areas. So I went there. Heck I sound as if I am appologizing. I'm not.... she's one heck of a rat.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, you do sound as tho you're excusing or apologizing. (I probably instigated that, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to, you just sounded like you had something that needed addressing)
I don't think you have to do that (from what I've seen). You rescued 3 kids that I believe would have died suffering. That doesn't mean you are expected to be able to deal with very sick kids you didn't already take on as your own. You got them to the safest most loving place they could be in the world.
You should be very proud of yourself and know that as you hear of those girls you are their fairy godmother.
And it's time you just brag about your girl and look after her and love & be loved & post pictures.
Welcome to the family Lily! Hugs to you LA!
HWelcomeMickey.gif

LA said:
Ok everyone. As you know I was heartbroken after giving up Jack. So as friends of friends who normally have rats didn't have any and I was venturing to Sudbury this weekend. Sunday I made a trip to Petsmart. Don't yell at me. Anyways I went in and they had about 13 young rats. The associate told me 6 months, but they are smaller then mine so I said probably 4.5-5 months. Anyways the associate was amazing and I went in behind the cages and she opened them up for me. I was trying to find one that I could connect with or have it be comfortable. Well so many choices I picked so many up. Finally the associate picked up this little fawn (I think it's called fawn) barebacked hooded with DARK red eyes. I had fallen in love with her through the glass but I didn't want to have that hinder my choice. Well I will be darned if she didn't curl in and then start to brux as I was holding her. She then climbed up on my shoulder and started to brux again. I was in awe. The associate asked me what the noise was because hers makes it too and she didn't know.... I told her that the rat is happy when they make this noise and she smiled. I turned to her and said "I am taking this one, she chose me". I walked out of Petsmart with Lily (I knew already what she was to be called) on my shoulder. She likes to be picked up and is just the biggest sweetie imaginable. She healed my broken heart.

She faired the 3 hour drive wonderfully, most of the time out and the rest of the time under the blanket with her head out where she could see me (she sat in the front seat).

I am so in love with this little girl, she will make a nice addition.

So here are the pictures, hard to see her a bit as she was in the cage. But we'll get more, don't you worry.

don't apologize for finding your little dream at PetSmart. I understand the ideal in not buying from pet stores but sometimes the little faces in there deserve a break too.

I know for a fact that PetSmart will take on "adoption" animals and give them away to a good home so I am not too critical of them.

Let's face it... Destiny sent you wandering into PetSmart... it's almost as if your guardian angel was upstairs saying.... "GET IN THERE!!! LILY IS WAITiNG!!! :lol:

Thanks guys. OK I am happy I went into Petsmart because I got the most adorable little girl there... Happy (I know I am).

She's a sweetie.... I feel so bad for her being in her cage all by herself. I can't wait until I can put her with mine. I wish I could do it today or tomorrow but I want to make sure she doesn't get sick.

LA said:
Thanks guys. OK I am happy I went into Petsmart because I got the most adorable little girl there... Happy (I know I am).

She's a sweetie.... I feel so bad for her being in her cage all by herself. I can't wait until I can put her with mine. I wish I could do it today or tomorrow but I want to make sure she doesn't get sick.

make sure to watch out for signs of aggression against Lily. When I introduced Ben and Basil, Ben was a real pill for the first few meetings! His fur was standing on end; he was approaching Basil sideways and was swinging his hips at him. These are the aggressive stances which Debbie "The Rat Lady" mentions in her Rat Health Care booklet.

If you need any info on how to introduce rats, I will be happy to post Debbie's info. I exactly followed her instructions and now my little guys are inseperable. :)

I want Lily to have the same love from her future cagemate. :love6:

Jennifer, thank you so much. I will definately need and read it.

Ok so I have a question. I see how healthy Lily looks (I say looks for a reason) but I know that other problems can arise. Should I wait the full two weeks for quarantine? Thanks in advance.

LA said:
Jennifer, thank you so much. I will definately need and read it.

Ok so I have a question. I see how healthy Lily looks (I say looks for a reason) but I know that other problems can arise. Should I wait the full two weeks for quarantine? Thanks in advance.

I would DEFINITELY recommend waiting the full 2 weeks!!! Rats are resilient little creatures and make every effort to maintain "normalcy" no matter how bad they may be feeling!

Watch for excessive porpherine staining around the eyes and nose. Some Porpherine is normal just after waking up but rats will generally wash themselves free of it shortly thereafter. If a rat is not keeping itself "clean" then it may have a health issue. You also want to make sure that Lily is free of fur mites or lice. She will, otherwise, transfer them to your healthy rat.

According to my vet, treatments with Revolution can be done at any time. Ben and Jerry were treated for fur mites when I first brought them home in February but I had Ben re-treated in July when I brought Basil home.

Trust me, it may be hard to leave Lily "by herself" in quarantine but as long as she sees her fair share of your cuddles, kisses and playtime she will sail through it without a hitch.

Most of what I am telling you here has been taken from Debbie the RatLady. Some of it is from my own experience. Holler if you have any questions and we will take care of you and your little fur face. :love6:

Back