Introducing.... BAXTER!! *new VIDEO*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay

Well, Baxter is home!!!! AND... I am happy to announce--as confusing as it is--that he IS purebred Flemish after all!!!! The reason I thought he was mixed breed is because of his broken coat.

I do know that

Solid x Solid = 100% solids
Broken x Solid= 50% brokens/solids
Broken x Broken= 25% solid, 25% broken, 50% charlies (I think)

but there are always flaws and mismarks that ARE exceptions to the rule.
Think about it... 2 normal parents having an albino child... It happens. I was there today and saw the parents. The mother is a purebred solid fawn, and the father a purebred solid sandy..... and Baxter is mismarked. The woman keeps record of all of her litters and I saw it with my own eyes. This is true. She said that in the show world, rabbits like Baxter would often be culled and never spoken of as they are considered "freaks" or whatever... and they are disqualifications. But, not this guy!!!

She is going to let me know of his actual birth date as soon as she can but she thinks he was born in March.... so he's about 5 months old... and BIG!!! My 10 lb cat that you see in the pic is almost the same size as him:) I am in love:)

So, without further hesitation, here is my PUREBRED FLEMISH GIANT, BAXTER!!!!! *jumps up and down*

Baxter004.jpg

Baxter001.jpg

Oooooh! Let me be the first to congratulate you, Lindsay!! He's gorgeous! :heart: :heart: There's nothing "freak-ish" about him! I hope you have many, many happy years together!!

Thanks guys! He is turning out to be an amazing rabbit. I am absolutely in love with him. I see him open up and gain some confidence every single day.

I bought him home Friday evening and put him in the new cage. He sniffed around a little and then *PLOP* he was lounging. The next morning I woke up at 7:30am and went in to check on him. His water bowl was empty, as was his pellet bowl, and his salad was half gone. He picked at his hay a little but didn't dive right into it. There was poop in the litter box but also in the bottom of the cage. I swept it up and put it in the box, gave the cage a quick wipe, and he has NEVER pooped outside of his litter box while in the cage ever since. I am floored by how quickly he caught on. He is tremendously clean! The only mess that ever gets in his cage is the little bit of saw dust that sticks to his feet when he's in the box and the occasional stray turd that flies out when he hops out. I vacuum his carpet every other day and other than that there's no maintenance. I even get about 4 days out of his litter box before I have to clean it... and it has nothing to do with the smell... i only have to clean it because it's very much "used" by then and turning to mostly sawdust. I'm amazed and thrilled!

He peed only twice on my carpet and it was in the same spot. So, until I get a second box for him for when he's out he is sharing the cat box. I just stick it in that spot and he hasn't had an accident for about 3 days now. So far he hasn't chewed anything at all in his cage and he very rarely tried to nip at stuff out of the cage. Whenever he does I just sternly say "NO" and he stops. On the rare occasion that he tries again I will tickle his bum which sends him binkying off down the hall. LOL. He's such a ham! I need to catch his GIANT binkies on video for you guys!!

Here's a pic of him lounging in my hallway (you can see the blue spot in his eye.. he's got one in each):
baxter20001202.jpg

and here's a shot of his cage:
0022.jpg

He hops right to the door of the cage first thing in the morning when I go in to give him his pellets and fill up his water bowl. He also greets me when I get home after work. Now, when I start to unclamp his cage door he grabs on to the bottom of the door and starts yanking on it to try and get out faster. Apparently I don't open it fast enough. If it wasn't for him trying this trick then I wouldn't have 8 clamps on the door to begin with. LOL. I started out with only 1 on each panel but once he figured out how fun it is to run around on the outside of the cage, he decided to try it on his own and nearly escaped. Little turkey!

That was a loud run by. I want to see a binky!!
You know to limit his pellets right? His diet really should be mainly hay.
He's so big already. What a love!

Yep. He only gets pellets once a day and only a certain amount of them. He gets a salad every day as well and he's always got hay available.

These are binkies!!!!

[youtube:y72qpc5z]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RNWicf-TV8Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RNWicf-TV8Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:y72qpc5z]

Back