Introducing a young male and a senior one?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eccaba

Hi there! I'm a new rat owner- I've had my boy for about 2&1/2 months now. I am working on getting him a friend. It's taken a little bit longer, because I ended up having to treat him for myco when I first got him (although I'm not actually sure he had it, in retrospect I think he could have also just been sneezing from the Carefresh).

Anyway, my boy is about 5-6m old and neutered. He has a very sweet disposition, and has lived with other rats in the past. I was planning on getting him another young rat for a cage mate, but I noticed 2 elderly boys up for adoption in the Rockville Humane. It breaks my heart to see such old animals being given up. :sad3: I'm curious if people think it would be possible to successfully integrate a young neutered boy and an elderly intact male? I know the older rat would probably only live a few months, but now that I know how smart and sweet rats are, I'd love to take one out of the shelter. Could I do it? Would I then still need to get another younger, more energetic rat to live with the two?

Also, I'll take this moment to suggest that if people feel like they want to adopt another rat, there are some elderly ones up for adoption at the Rockville Humane!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Good for you for thinking of the old guys. With time and patience, introductions could very well work but you should be ready in case it doesn't. Are you able to keep two separate cages?

Back