Intro trouble

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

I thought I should start a new thread on this, heh.

The players:
Brie and Elphie: 26 mo. old sisters
Phoe: 7 mo. (?) old <- lived with the old girls.
Jo and Ginny: 4 mo. old sisters

Phoe, Jo, and Ginny were instant friends upon introduction. I'll likely never witness such a smooth intro again!

The tub with the five was always uneventful. No one was flipped or bothered, they just wanted out.

The floor is where they've been ever since intros started. They seem to have reached a plateau of sorts...the older girls will allow them in the FN but the babies are forced to cower in a hiding place (I leave the cage doors open during free time).

What I'm wondering is, are the dumbos too old and just cranky? Phoe was pretty much driven out after months of living in the FN in peace. Brie is allowed to be cranky because of her tumor but Elphie is healthy. Is she realizing she's about to be alpha and is going overboard with her upcoming power? She even freaks out Phoe now - flips her and everything despite them formerly being pretty close.

I'm at a bit of a loss. It's hard to watch the babies get bitten by both dumbos when they're innocently sitting on the floor just minding their own business.

I think that eventually the older girls would get used to the babies, put them in their place. Nic's little ones went through the same thing when they moved in with three older rats. They stayed hidden for almost a week but now they are back to happy babies.
I would keep trying... having one cage is always easier than two. :wink:

It certainly is! :D

The intro with Phoe was somewhat textbook with the old girls. I followed the Intro Sticky and voila, three best friends. So I suppose I'm confused as to why less threatening creatures are such a huge deal to them now.

Ginny has a small gash on her back after today's attempt so the lack of progress is frustrating.

I'll keep trying. :)

:watching:

I knew this would happen. I've held back posting about this issue thinking it'd remedy itself and when I finally do...

I've been in my housemate's room doing calculus all evening/night and I just returned to my room to find everyone had put themselves to bed in the Rat Shack. Well, everyone but Ginny who was sleeping alone in her own cage. But still. I am AMAZED. Even Phoe decided it was tolerable to hang around! Jo's been begging for love since the beginning. I hope this lasts.

I only wish I could have gotten photos of the four but they were too snuggled up in there. :D

I left the cage doors open but Ginny never joined them. I guess she was a little scarred from the wound she got. :(

Edit: I'm wrong! Ginny slipped through the FN bars to curl up with the crew. YAYYYYY! I'm ignoring the fact that as I type Brie has her on her back.

lol...
Rats sometimes need to be alone and other times need their posse. Flipping is all part of play and learning. Don't worry!!
I think the girls are doing great... now the fact that they can squeeze through or out of the FN is another story. I'd be having little heart attacks each time. :lol2:

:D!

The flipping I don't mind so much (even Phoe is subject to this treatment) it's the biting and minor cuts that worry me. : x

The setup right now is the Superpet cage on top of the FN with a little ladder "connecting" the cages when they're open so the rats can move between them as they please. It's interesting that they rarely leave the cages despite the doors being wide open since yesterday afternoon. The option to escape to a new place to sleep seems to have calmed Phoe.

I'm really delaying this modification but once my finals are over I can force myself to Canadian Tire or wherever to finally get it done. ;) For now, to be honest, I like them being able to flee to safety if they need to. It does force me to keep my room super clean (read: clothes in tupperware containers!).

Me too, Willowbean! :D Last night the rats put themselves back in their own cages so it doesn't seem they're comfortable enough for this to be permanent but it's a great start.

Jo: If you don't have crazy chewers it's kinda fun! Cody was a great free ranger, snoozing on my desk next to my computer, or in a drawer of papers. Unfortunately if I go back to Toronto the free ranging ends as my sister's cat is a born huntress. Fortunately mine has no interest anymore. She doesn't like waking up to a rat chomping on her paw/tail/nose. ;) So when the doors open she flees, poor thing.

Back