Intro time again! New pics Aug15

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I showed my mom the pictures of your cage and said you have 25 rats and she was like, "Is she a hoarder?" :laugh4: My mom doesn't hate rats, but she isn't hopelessly addicted to their awesomeness either. So she doesn't understand. :wink2:

That looks great....wow really wonderful.
How many rats do you have in that cage? I am so tempted to make a triple high double wide...Hubby might have me comitted......it is a real posability :wink2: .

I've got 21 living in a space for 24.

But... I must report all is not well in rattie land here. I found two babies with injuries to their eyes. It was a scary morning. Bunny bled a lot from her eye. We had to apply pressure for well over 30 minutes before it stopped. Blue has a lovely lump over her right eye. UGH!!! These are the two baby girls that simply don't know when a dominant rat means business. They continue to pounce the stressed out rat and this rat probably had enough of the babies antics on them... the result, scratches to the eyes... :panic:
Cande (20m) hasn't been happy since the integration. She's been trying to bully the young ones but this morning, I've found her completely freaked out. It seems Julia has claimed Nessie's horns and is now the bully. She is taking care of the babies, but taking it a little too far and bullying all the older rats. :roll: The babies sure aren't scared of her, I caught Jet trying to "do her" this morning and she allowing it. :roll: So I know she's protecting the young ones.

So... now I have Cande on doxy for myco flare up. (she's always been off and on meds)
Blue and Bunny on Baytril for their eye scratches.
Sebbie is on doxy but he's been sick from day one and only doxy seems to keep it under control.
Minou is on meds but she's got chronic something to the lungs.

:gaah: ...remind me why I do this to myself again?

Oh not a good day in rat land.....Naughty little babies.....why can't they be god and leave the older ones alone.......I hope everything works out and you have a peacful cage soon.......

Such a beautiful palace of a cage. Too bad that your ratties are not yet ready to get along. It must have been scary to find them like that. Babies are slow to get the hint sometimes. I've seen that with kittens, too.

Hope it settles down fast!

I've been keeping an eye on them all day and evening and so far so good. Not a screech or a howl. Bunny is looking like nothing happened to her, not even porphyrin and Blue little lump has gone down considerably. Phew!!!

Here's a video I took this morning...

[youtube:2bmm2r1e]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GK6-AluATr4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GK6-AluATr4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:2bmm2r1e]

I've had the triple high, I like it but I'm really liking the double wide. They are running so much from one end to the other so I know they are really like it this way. When I had the triple high, my young ones never really ran from top to bottom, they would make their way around looking for a spot to sleep but with the double wide, they are just running and playing in the cage. I haven't had to clean it yet...lol, I'll let you know if I change my mind about liking it so much.

jorats said:
Evil Nessie... look at those eyes, can't see the evilness.... :heart:
Aww, she really doesn't look evil, she looks like like a seal in love in that picture! I think a lot of evil is just insecurity unrelieved, if she ever had the makings of evil no doubt any psychopathy has been averted by your good love, and if any vestiges that remain in her eyes or her actions are more memory than reality, as her heart is surely as pure as the love it receives.
Happi Wolf said:
I showed my mom the pictures of your cage and said you have 25 rats and she was like, "Is she a hoarder?" :laugh4:
I tell my mom news of the Rat Shack rats sometimes and she wonders the same in a rather judgemental tone - Like "your life revolves around 3, how could they possibly find time & money for so many?" She told me I had an addiction when I had like 6.... :evil: She doesn't understand 'multiple' type pets and I think she's just scared I'll get that many and all she sees is the monetary cost when I'm on welfare and the emotional costwhen I lose one and she doesn't want me to hurt over them. It's understandable for a mom I think - unless you can have as much success as Jorats & Nickelrat in 'infecting' your mom with the same 'sickness' :lol:

I hope everyone is healing up well!
I don't know how you find the time to keep readjusting living space as the groups change, or keep things so tidy yet so much like a day at the circus for rattie-kids - let alone the ability to keep your head clear & heart beating when so many intros mean seeing injuries...
jorats said:
It was so nice to see Captain playing, he hasn't played since he lost Treat, Boo and Radar. :sad3:
Aw, bless his heart, maybe that answers my last question some.....
jorats said:
:gaah: ...remind me why I do this to myself again?
See your last quote :thumbup:

jorats said:
I've had the triple high, I like it but I'm really liking the double wide. They are running so much from one end to the other so I know they are really like it this way. When I had the triple high, my young ones never really ran from top to bottom, they would make their way around looking for a spot to sleep but with the double wide, they are just running and playing in the cage. I haven't had to clean it yet...lol, I'll let you know if I change my mind about liking it so much.

I find in the triple that the bottom part isn't used as much as the other two levels.......I put their food down there so they have to go down and when they are playing they do run down wrestle and run back up but the space is not "lived in"
I was think that they would like more floor space of the double wide...I have the other piece back again......so I could do it......If I kept them both on the stand and joined them with zip ties I could cut them apart to wheel them outside for washing....hmmmm....let me know how the cleaning goes Jo....I just might need to do this......

The cage looks great Jo! I think rats like horizontal space more than vertical. Your cage would be better for the oldies too, not just the youngens.

OMG, that picture of Nessie is adorable! Amazing how she manages to look so innocent!

And the double wide... awesome! I'm planning on attaching the girls' two FNs. Not sure it will matter to them, since all of them sleep in one hammock anyway!

Back