Intro question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

I tried to intro two small easy going girls with 4 others and Spade did this big super scratch along down one of the girls (from ear to under chin) Does that mean i can never intro them? of course i stopped right then and there and cleaned it up and it healed up(thank god) I am not even sure how or with what she did that with? If it was with her feet or her teeth >.<

Looked like this drawing taken from google lol:
ebajpy.jpg

lilangel said:
I tried to intro two small easy going girls with 4 others and Spade did this big super scratch along down one of the girls (from ear to under chin) Does that mean i can never intro them? of course i stopped right then and there and cleaned it up and it healed up(thank god) I am not even sure how or with what she did that with? If it was with her feet or her teeth >.<

Looked like this drawing taken from google lol:
ebajpy.jpg

If it was teeth I'd think it would be more than a scratch. I'm thinking that an errant back nail during a tussling match? I wouldn't give up on the possibility of intros just yet.

Yeah they were in a box next thing i herd was fighting then Monkey came out and went to hide (all this time Monkey did not scream or cry) I checked her and she had that, was a very clean but semi deep cut but it did not bleed much at all and it closed up wonderful. Only thing she has to show for it now is a small cut on her ear.

Go very slow with your intros. In neutral spot and no toys or hiding places for at least a week.
It takes a lot for me to give up on intros.

Ok tonight we did it on a table with only a water bowl and everything seemed to have went better they ended up passing out together lol After that i put them all back in their cages, but wondered should i also do the switch of cages each night(its a FN where instead of switching stuff i just switch the rats) ? Or wait a week to do that? The intro was about hour and a half.

That was a good long intro and good that nothing happened. You can g ahead and switch them now if you like. The main thing is that they meet and know they exists and are there to stay. So do the table for about a week, then add toys and boxes to hide in for another week after. After those two weeks, go on familiar ground, their usual play area with no toys and no hiding places, do that for a week. After that you add toys and hiding places. If all goes well after a week of familiar with toys, you are probably good to move into the cage after a big scrub down.

Back