intact males and females LOL

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
People who keep intact rats in the same home, how do you keep them apart ROFL
srsly, I have a new boy, he's been neutered but will not be safe to meet the ladies for another 10 days (surgery was the 6th I believe)
I have 4 intact females who are 2 rooms away from where the boy is being kept for now

I let my 4 intact girls sniff a bit of the fleece with this boy's scent on it, the same as I'd do if I got in new girls- let them smell each other on items, switch out cages, etc in preparation for intros. That turns out not to have been a good idea LOL it only meant the girls were that much quicker to find the source of that manly odor 2 rooms away LOL

don't worry, I caught both of them on their way to check him out, and from what I've heard they can't mate thru the bars (right?) but holy cow, I've never known Emma to show any interest in leaving the rat room but she was hot on his tail ROFL too funny.

but srsly, how do you keep the boys and girls from trying to go at it at every chance they get?

I've never had any issues with keeping males and females in the same room. Always in different cages, of course - I have enough on my hands with the momma rat I recently got from a pet store! She and her sister came to me pregnant, but momma was further along. Just settling in now for her sister to have her babies in about a week or so. At least this time I'm much more prepared!

I have them divided in one room. Just ensure cages are inspected daily and no possibility of escape and during free play they are kept from being able to actually contact the opposite gender.

Back