Injured rat caging situation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPGG

Hello! One of my rats have a swollen leg. I have taken him to the vet and now giving him meloxicam. I do want to ask if separating him from his brothers on a different cage would be a good idea until his leg heals? My other two boys love to hover around and my other one who has the swollen leg squeals whenever his leg gets touched or stepped on by the others. And does anyone have any advice on giving the medication to him? Thankfully I was able to give him the first dosage, but he didn't take much liking to the medication. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

i would not separate them it would just stress the lone one out more. As for meds i just hold them and put the syringe in mouth and squirt in. Some maybe eat it off bread if you put it on bread and the bread soaks in it but some may not being they smell the meds right in it.

i would not separate them it would just stress the lone one out more. As for meds i just hold them and put the syringe in mouth and squirt in. Some maybe eat it off bread if you put it on bread and the bread soaks in it but some may not being they smell the meds right in it.
Thank you for the advice! I separated them thinking it would be a good idea, and the moment I got home from work, I put him right back in the cage and he huddled with his brothers right away. I tried squirting the syringe in his mouth earlier, and thankfully was able to manage to get him to have it, but it definitely was a struggle. I will try the bread method and see if it will work out better for him. Thank you very much!

Back