Injured Foot - pls advise

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you find him trying to chew everything? That might of been a sign of pain.
But sounds like he's doing better and will soon be 100% back to normal.

Sounds like your boy is getting better. :joy: Chewing on everything can be a sign he's pain. It's so nice to watch the buddies care for the hurting one.

Like has been said about the chewing it sounds like this hurt him a lot, poor kid. But so good to hear the black is gone (that was scary) and that he's starting to put weight on it, and sooo cool that he has cagemates are in tune with and respectful of his needs. He might never have any further problems from it, just worth mentioning if he's at the vet is all so they can make a notation and if in future he has some trouble they'll be aware it might be related to that.

I love the pic in the little basket, but can we be greedy and have another picture of him too? And unless I missed it I didn't see his name?

If he seems to be in pain, ask your vet for some metacam (sp?) ..when my girl sprained her knee we got some of that for her.

If you do get pain meds then be sure to use them sparingly as you don't want to numb the pain to the point where the rat is using the foot as normal and causing more injury to the already injured tissue.

Every second day? I don't see how that would help. Since metacam is given every 24 hours your rat would feel good an be using the foot for a day then spend a day in pain etc. I have had much more success with giving a lower dose every 24 hours just to numb the pain.

smilez_n_hugs said:
Every second day? I don't see how that would help. Since metacam is given every 24 hours your rat would feel good an be using the foot for a day then spend a day in pain etc. I have had much more success with giving a lower dose every 24 hours just to numb the pain.

well, thats what worked for me.

Ratty Momma said:
[quote="smilez_n_hugs":17x60ewy]Every second day? I don't see how that would help. Since metacam is given every 24 hours your rat would feel good an be using the foot for a day then spend a day in pain etc. I have had much more success with giving a lower dose every 24 hours just to numb the pain.

well, thats what worked for me.[/quote:17x60ewy]

I'm going to guess that your little guy was feeling ok all along because smileznhugs is right. The metacam is no longer in the body after 24 hours maybe even less, we aren't sure really.
But... there's nothing wrong in not giving the metacam if it's obvious that your little guy is not in pain.

Back