Injured baby rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hope

52BBC3DE-7924-4D3C-B00E-0715FC4609F0.jpeg FE7DFB89-64F8-4F78-B49B-4653E3B6E2A6.jpeg
Hey guys so my rescue Mozzy gave birth to a litter of 15 on January 18th. The first baby was born at 3:57am. Only 13 survived. So her babies are now a little over a week old. Well, yesterday there was an oopsie where mama escaped her cage and took her babies with her. We found them under the couch. However, when we found our babies one of the little boys had a tail injury that I believe to be severe. I don’t know, I’ve never had a rat with a tail injury before surprisingly but this little baby, you can see the bone. Maybe, MAYBE half of the tail still has skin on it and the rest of the tail is bone. Exposed. Bone. My fiancé thinks we should wait until Friday and then take the baby to the vet to see what needs to happen but I’m really hesitant to wait. Is this as severe as I think it is? I will post pictures if I can.

Please bring them to the vet immediately. Exposed bone can lead to a very serious infection very quickly. The skin may also eventually begin to die as well. Especially with a creature so young, he may not have the immune system to fend off an infection of any kind.
I'm not a vet and I've never had this injury, but I suspect the vet will ultimately remove the tail, but try to save as much as possible.

Please immediately take the baby to see a good vet with the experience and knowledge to treat rats.
Vet may decide that the baby needs antibiotics, (clavamox and azithromycin are baby friendly), vet will need to remove part of the tail, baby may need pain meds from the vet

Last edited:
I also would go asap. A degloving in such a tiny baby could be very chancy of infection. In an older rat you could probably wait. They likely will amputate the exposed bone and close the skin over the end.

Hey guys thanks for the replies! I took the baby to the vet and the vet decided to amputate the bone and then glue the skin over the end of the tail. Baby is doing great now!!!

Back