Injectable ivermectin for rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emawebee

My colony of 25 has mites. They got them from paper bedding, I've been freezing it 48 hrs since I found out...

Anyways I took one of my rats to the vet, he said it would be way to expensive to kitten rev all my rats. He told me to get injectable ivermectin, as the cheapest method. I had to order it from drfostersmith.

He told me .25ml per L of water. That's what I did till I had a chat with a forum member and she said that it probably wasn't the best way to do it.. And the paste would have been better, a helping the size of a grain of
Rice, he told me the injectable would be the easiest and cheapest way, and he said do not get the paste it's hard to regulate.

Yesterday was their first dose of the ivermectin.. The doc said it would be controlled bc I had a safe solution, .25ml
Per L and I split that between the colony.. And then a member on here brought to my attention that one rat could be drinking more of it than another.

Is this unsafe? He also told me to give them baytril through water before for myco outbreaks. 1ml per 100 ml of water. So I did 5ml/500ml for my colony. I don't want to
Hurt my babies sooo if I need to not do this them I will try to do paste individually but that will be hard..

I looked him up online and he was on the ohio rat whispers vet list and was on animal planet and works with exotic animals(I also have birds) so I thought he would be perfect and know what he is talking about, I'll be very disappointed if I find out he has told me false information that could harm my kiddos.

This is only my first year having rats and I've been trying to find homes for most of the babies, so I really appreciate everyone helping me out :)

Sorry for length. Thanks all!

This is also the most dangerous way to treat them. It is so easy to overdose them with ivermectin it isnt worth it. You can look on line for revoloution and order it online it would be cheaper but I wouldnt us that unless I had to and since they make revo, I dont really see a reason to have to use it. You can get the dog one, it has a larger dose and that will be more than plenty to treat your rats :)

Putting medicine of any kind in water for rats is a very old school method of thinking and pretty much useless.
Your rats may stop drinking water altogether because the taste of the medicine will turn them away.
If they don't stop drinking it, they could either get way too much medicine (Ivermectin is easily overdosed) or not get enough (if they don't get full doses of antibiotics then their infection will never go away).

I wouldn't consider you vet rat savvy at all.
I would get the Revo personally. I got mine from here:
http://www.petshed.com/revolution.asp

You could get a 6 pack of the Cat (blue) type for about 75$, with shipping.

Or perhaps a new vet.

I shall just say Eeeeeek!!!

Ivermectin has to be dosed sooo carefully by weight as its incredibly toxic and can kill your rats. Injectable CAN be used topically carefully but I would never put it in water (baytril either).

You have 25 rats, all about 3-400 grams?

.02 cc each, just once.

This will take care of all your babies

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/revolutiontoypurple3pack-p-387.html

Last edited:
Ditto on adding meds to water -->. OK for cows and sheep perhaps, but certainly not rats as there is no way to control how much drug each rat is getting. They are small, and every mg counts!

Buy the Revolution and get a needle and 1cc syringe. You will NOT be injecting them. Put the needle into the end of the Revo package and draw out the amount you need (.02ml) which is basically equivalent to one DROP of Revo. Then separate the needle from the syringe and use the syringe to squirt the drop on to your rat's back between their shoulder blades. Distract rat until the medication dries. Repeat 24 more times. LOL
Very easy and cost effective because you are using literally a drop per rat.

Never heard of putting ivermec in water...
Just drop a spot behind their ears? Or do a single oral dose? Why risk it by putting the ivermec in their water?
My vet sold me a single tube of Revolution for $25. Much safer and easier. You can get oral ivermec in paste form for like $8 and even that is safer than add-it-to-their-water method.

Back