Infected in the throat area

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mia9_28

Hey everyone.
I recently brought home a young female and at first it looked like she had this weird bald spot or old scar on her throat but now it's infected. It seems like the wound would have been under her chin but the infection is lower so I'm worried. I have Baytril here so starting her on that. It doesn't quite feel like an abscess but I wouldn't doubt that it would be. Should I attempt to drain whatever it is or just apply saline solution to it? She doesn't want it touched of course. Just hoping for some advice from our experienced folks.
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1440421190622.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1440421215570.jpg

I would take her in for a Fine Needle Aspiration. That way the vet can look at the cells under the microscope to see what is going on. That's a unusual place for an abscess, so it's worrisome.

The bottom part looks like pyoderma. Long term baytril should clear that up but if it gets any worse, I'd get it checked out.
Is there an lump there too or just excess skin? It's hard to tell sometimes in the neck area.

We see that often in boys the abscess in the middle of the throat but rarely in girls. I have no idea the cause of it but once it pops it doesnt come back.

Thanks guys. :)
Should I do some saline solution presses to try and lure the infection out? And Jorats it doesn't feel like a lump. It originally felt like scar tissue so I would say excess skin.

If it doesn't improve with treatment, I will be sure to go see Dr. Mokler to have it looked at and tested.

Back