Infant rat, URI? Clicking

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by Christina, Aug 13, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Aug 13, 2018 #1

Christina

Christina

Christina

Hello!
    I recently came across an orphaned baby rat. Its eyes are closed and from what I could ascertain, looked about 10/11-ish days old. I immediately did as much research as I could and ran out and got formula, feeding syringe, heating pad, etc.

Though I tried to be as careful as possible, there were several instances I gave him milk nose bubbles followed by sneezing. This was from feeding and not spilling milk over the nose.

It has been several days in my care and he has developed constant clicking. His appetite is still there though I can't relay much about behavior as I have no familiarity with rats or infant rats. If anything, it appears he might becoming a bit frantic which I have read can be just as bad of a sign as lethargy.

I called several vets in my area and no-one will see him as he is a wild rat. I will keep looking and trying and money/time is not an issue. Wildlife rescue in my area are currently overwhelmed and the ones I have called do not take rats.

I do have Amoxicillin which I will start administering. Is there anything else I can do at this point? I don't know if perhaps because this was caused by milk in the respiratory track, treatment may be different?

I really can't lose this guy. His eyes are still closed so he can't be more than 14 days I assume.

2. Aug 14, 2018 #2

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

If he wasn't clicking he would have almost no chance of surviving because he is so young.
    Find a nursing mama rat to make him smell like her babies and add him to the litter - contact shelters, rescues, check social media, pet stores, breeders etc (don't give him to a pet store or breeder etc)

But it sounds like the formula went into his lungs - ie coming out of his nose
    so the baby probably has fluid/formula in his lungs which has caused him to become ill and thus the clicking noise

Pictures?
    Video please - post to youtube and copy the link on here

See Deer Mouse Rescue and Support Group on facebook
    Feed Squirrel milk replacer if possible http://www.mcssl.com/store/17128612/milk-replacers

Are you feeding every 2 hours? Because you need to.

http://www.afrma.org/orphanrm.htm
    http://www.rmca.org/Articles/orphans.htm

Info from Rats and Mice are Awesome group on facebook file on orphans
    - they have a baby group you might want to join

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. Aug 14, 2018 #3

SQ

SQ

SQ

Continued

4. Aug 14, 2018 #4

SQ

SQ

SQ

5. Aug 15, 2018 #5

SQ

SQ

SQ

How is the baby?

6. Aug 15, 2018 #6

selk

selk

selk

Sigh, I learned the hard way when I was handraising a wee mousie to feed it slooooow. Poor little one didn't make it after displaying similar symptoms :( Hope your little tyke pulls through!

7. Aug 16, 2018 #7

Christina

Christina

Christina

Hi, all! Sorry for not replying earlier.

The baby is doing amazingly well. I had planned to come back and do an update to help anyone else who might need the same help in the future.

The feeding method obviously was a problem. Despite several different methods and tools, he continued to aspirate some of the formula each feeding. You're right, Selk, I'm sure the speed of feeding as well as the amount of formula being pushed in had something to do with it.

So we have very small, very thick baggies on hand due to my husband's work (he sells gemstones, each stone goes into its own thick plastic 2"x3" baggie). I cut a very small hole in the corner of one of these bags, the size of which makes it so suction or pressing on the hole is required to get the fluid out. If it drips out on its own, then the hole is too large. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the hole size just right. Then while feeding I am careful to not let it become suctioned shut by keeping my finger down in the baggie while he nurses.

He immediately took to this method. I actually think it helped him mentally as well. Being able to grab onto something more like a nipple, suck at his own pace and have something to knead while nursing..

This stopped any and all subsequent aspiration from occuring. We turned up his heating pad a smidgen to make sure he stayed warm. We also gave him two rounds of a small dose of B6 to help his body absorb the excess fluid. Seeing as b6 is a diuretic, we were also careful to give him electrolytes. He would get a feeding of formula with b6 in the morning and then a feeding of electrolyte solution the next morning. Definitely made him pee more! And we monitored his dehydration level by the good old pinching his skin method.

As of writing this, the clicking has totally stopped. His eyes are opened and I'm excited for him to start trying solid foods soon!

I don't know if any of that will help anyone, but that's our story. I forsee a very long and incredibly loved future for this little dude.

Thanks to anyone who tried to help. The little guy appreciates it!

lilspaz68, Petunia and SQ like this.
  8. Aug 16, 2018 #8

selk

selk

selk

Oh that update was so lovely to read! This little one is lucky to have you.

9. Aug 16, 2018 #9

SQ

SQ

SQ

Thank you for the update and the information.
    I am so glad that the baby is doing well