Increased food aggression?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaneliDesigns

I recently switched all of my boys to lab blocks based on the recommendations of other users here. They LOVE them, but I think Pickle loves them a little too much. I noticed Pickle and Pres getting into a LOT of scuffles since I switched them, and Pickle has been moving each block individually to some weird spot in the cage (in a pile on the very top shelf, and in the litter box...). Is there something I can do to reduce the possessiveness? He wasn't so possessive when we had them on a seed mix. Pickle and Pres were very good about eating everything in their mix, but the babies are picking through, so I don't really want to have them on separate diets once we get them moved in together.

He is hoarding his food. There's not much you can do other than putting it back in the bowl all the time so the other rats have a chance of getting some.

My rats hoard their blocks as well but they are not possessive ...
[erhaps if you put two dishes of blocks in the cage and make sure they never run out of blocks he will hopefully become less possesssive
(you can take the stashed blocks and put them back in their dishes)
In addition, you can also give them lab block mush by soaking blocks in cool water. Much harder to stash.

I would go several times a day to put back the blocks, in fact, put the blocks in all kinds of places. Lets get him working and exercising. Meanwhile, it might allow the other one to find them too and eat them without the boss getting upset. So pretty much an easter egg hunt every day, several times a day.

He isn't hoarding so much as beating up on Pres EVERY time he tries to eat... I've been doing the time out cage all day every day since we switched to blocks and it hasn't done much. I even switched them back to seeds but the aggression has stayed! I don't understand why Pickle is suddenly so aggressive about food.

How old are they?
Any injuries?
How large is the cage and how many rats live in it?
When did this start?

Have all 4 boys been introed or are you still working on that?

I had a bit of that problem with my female not to the point of fighting my boys are very gentle with her but she tries to snatch the food out of their mouths and they have a game if tug of war I just put extra food dishes and at the same time everyday I put in a mix of two veggies and every other day a price of fruit mine eventually got the idea oxbow was boring food and the veggies were special so they all get food now and only try to horde the veggies which is only enough for they to all take some and rub to opposite corners and eat them and since its the same time every day I can monitor them and their behavior

How old are they? - Pickle is about a year and Pres is a little less. Maybe eight months?

Any injuries? - Not that I have seen, and I have been checking Pres since Pickle seems to be more violent than when they have their usual occasional scuffles.

How large is the cage and how many rats live in it? - Just two. I don't remember the exact dimensions of the cage, but it's for ferrets, and back when I knew the dimensions I put it in a cage calculator and it said it was appropriate for up to seven ratties!

When did this start? - Last week, right after I switched them off of a seed mix and onto lab blocks. I figured Pickle just REALLY liked the blocks, but I switched them back onto a seed mix and it is still happening. :(

We have intro'd the four of them outside of the cage a few times, and their cages have been looking into each others' for a couple of weeks, but they're not moved all the way in yet. I scrubbed both cages really good and put the new babies in with the older boys, and left them in for a couple of hours supervised, but I didn't want to leave them in there when I had to go out, so it was a sort of temporary visit.

I have a few hoarders in the cage so I keep two bowls in the cage, one at the bottom and one at that top.
I'd go back to the blocks, it's better for them anyway.
I can't remember but is Pickle neutered?

Also, it almost sounds like it has coincided with the new boys. That would be a more plausible reason for Pickle being very upset.

Pickle is not neutered, no. It might be time for that, though. I'm absolutely at a loss with these boys!!

Pickle will NOT stop food bullying... poor Pres can only manage to munch during Pickle's time-outs. I've been putting him in time out over and over and over, and almost immediately after putting him back in with Pres he picks another fight!! There still haven't been any injuries, but Pickle backs Pres into a corner where I can't really see what's going on, Pres screams a little, and then makes long, high-pitched squeaks until I come rescue him.

My oldest Bobo used to be the sweetest rat but he was so lonely but he just wouldn't stoping being a little butthead with my other boys its like they brought the jerk out of him I got him neutered and WOW it helps so much so if you can do it totally go for it Bobo actually seems happier. Idk if its just me but since after his neuter he now is more energetic and his ears always look Perkier and his eyes kinda playful alertness they didn't seem to have before (maybe its just in my head on the last part) It's almost hard to believe he is over a year and a half old now, I think it's from no longer having all the added stress from the hormones constantly gnawing at him. So I'm just commenting to let you know it is totally worth it. I've even been thinking about having the rest of my boys done just from the obvious improvement I've seen in Bobo

I agree, Pickle needs a neuter. I remember you had issues in the beginning too and it seems that Pickle simply can't control his hormonal urges. A neuter will help this boy get back to being a sweetie.

Think you're right. :( I never could get Pickle to stop bullying Pres over food. I don't know why that came on so suddenly. But today I scrubbed both cages down really well, and I put Pres and the two babies together in the big cage, who are doing fine together. Pickle now has the smaller cage all to himself. I feel bad that he's alone in there, but it's only temporary until I can find a good vet and save up the money to get him neutered... which hopefully will be sooner than later.

jorats said:
I would continue to have out time together, so he doesn't forget about them or at the very least have some buddies during out time.

Yeah, he's a total sweetie to the other boys as long as food isn't involved! But I literally haven't been able to put food in a cage with Pickle and another rat because he just bullies them relentlessly. It looked so violent that I was honestly surprised there weren't any injuries.

On the bright side, Pres is getting along with Wiccan and Hulkling brilliantly. I think the babies taught Pres how to get in the hammock, because he'd never gotten in it until the babies moved in with him! :lol:

Back