Incisors - beware of the potential enemy from within

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

Greetings! :)

It was suggested to me that my experiences with incisor problems would be good to post so here we go...

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my story, I lost my little rat man Jerry in June, at the tender age of only 6 months and one week. Jerry suffered an injury from malocclusion back in April which left a vicious slice in his lower lip.

The injury healed very nicely but Jerry was burdened with additional health issues including infected abscesses to the lower jaw, drastic weight loss AND incisors gone haywire! The vet believes that Jerry must have been suffering from something not yet diagnosed (i.e. cancer in a hard to diagnose place). His surgery and treatment (assist feeding with high protein foods) should have seen my little gent gaining a ton of weight. Instead he was deteriorating before my eyes.

On the very day of his follow up incisor appointment, I found him comatose on the floor of the cage. His lower incisor had stabbed up into his head and he was bleeding internally. I guess the point of all this is that his incisors are apparently what finally killed him.

Unfortunately, Jerry was not too keen on having his incisors checked so I wasn't able to see just how long they had gotten. If I had known that his lower incisors were long enough to stab into his head then I would have taken him to emergency that very day.

Ben and Basil also HATE having their incisors checked! Fortunately, their incisors are short enough where I can see their length when I hold up a treat. They stick their noses up into the air to get the treat and I can look at them from there. (I did not, of course, figure this method out until after I had made enemies for the day by checking their incisors the way the vet does... OY!!!!!)

I can only emphasize how critical it is to keep a sharp eye on those teeth!!! Your rat does not have to love it, but since the length of their incisors play a vital role in their well being, I want everyone here to know to watch their growth. It is amazing how fast they grow!

Jerry had received an incisor trim only 3 weeks before he died! That means that his teeth skyrocketed within less than a month.

I do not want anyone to suffer the grief I suffered at watching my little man die without a clue on what to do and how to help. The most painful thing about it is that I could have saved him if I would have known to check the incisors every few days and would not have given in to Jerry's vehement rejection of being examined.

Ben and Basil are reaping the benefits of my hard earned knowledge. I won't lose another little soul to malocclusion. Tough love my sweet little souls... tough love.

Hugs

Thank you for sharing this experience with us, it's good for all of us know know this and to keep an eye on it.

One of the new rescue girls my mom has taken in has something wrong with her incisors. I keep checking them, the they aren't too long yet but she does have an abscess at the bottom on her chin. She'll see the vet as soon as she's back in town.

That is the one thing I haven't dealt with yet, malloclusions, etc. Hearing your experiences really does help if I do come across it, helps me better prepared. A tooth abscess is a big fear of mine. :sad-p:

I've found a somewhat easy way to check the length of teeth and make sure everyone is eating with them ok.

The rats love the yogurt drops so when it is time to give out yogies, everyone gets one, one at a time......when giving out treats give out one at a time and it forces them to reach for them and open their mouths to take them, that way I can see the teeth and the alignment. Don't get me wrong, its not a very long look I get but its enough to see that the teeth are ok lengths.

I will also physically check teeth, but it is a fight to do that with some of the kids.

I'm sorry for the loss of you boy :sorry:
How do you know how long teeth should be? My guys don't seem to have any issues but I would like to know for later, when Coal kisses me sometimes I feel his teeth but only because it's an open mouth rattie kiss :tongue2:

Hazel likes to chew on Waynes tough skin. But I have the same question as Chicky, how do you know when they are too long?

As the vet told me "their bottom teeth always seem too long"..

I'm an obsessive tooth checker. All clear so far! :D

Thankyou for sharing that and making us aware of something we might not think about. I've heard their teeth could grow up into their heads, but I've fortunately never incountered a tooth problem and it's never crossed my mind that I should be checking them.
I'm very sorry for what happened with your boy. Because of Jerry I will be more alert to this. Hugs.

Rat teeth are made so that they grind against each other evenly and are filed down with bruxing, etc. When teeth are mallocluded (growing crookedly) the alignment is off and the teeth won't grind down evenly. This leads to overgrowth and possibly curving up into the head.

If your rats teeth are even and look normal you shouldn't worry, but its a good idea to check them when you can as they can sometimes break a tooth (you won't know) and they would need trimming until they are grown back to normal.

from what I understand, there is not a "proper length". What you need to look for is whether or not the upper incisors and lower incisors "cross" each other. They need to "practically meet without touching each other". The lower incisors will always be significantly longer than the upper incisors but as long as they still have some space in between them, you should be good to go. :)

My vet has what's called guillotine scissors...YIKES!!! She offered to teach me how to trim the incisors myself. NO WAY JOSE!!!! I would rather pay the $19 and have her do it!!! OY!!!! :shock:

jennifervb said:
My vet has what's called guillotine scissors...YIKES!!! She offered to teach me how to trim the incisors myself. NO WAY JOSE!!!! I would rather pay the $19 and have her do it!!! OY!!!! :shock:
I swear some vets have balls of steel. Can I say that? I guess it's too late.

Back