Incense loving rat owners

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiralEquinox

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who loves incense, candles, oil burning and all other scenty goodness. I already have a bedroom blocked off if I had anything lit I could put my future ratties in there, towel under the door and either a window open if weather is nice or an air purifier. But I wanted to know how everyone else balances this. How long until they can come back out? Are candles ok even if they are in the room? Are there any particular scents/oils that are harmful? Thank you ahead of time for any advice!

Don't mind me, just commenting because I'd love to follow this thread. My respiratory system doesn't do well with scented things either, so if it works for rats it might work for me :)

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who loves incense, candles, oil burning and all other scenty goodness. I already have a bedroom blocked off if I had anything lit I could put my future ratties in there, towel under the door and either a window open if weather is nice or an air purifier. But I wanted to know how everyone else balances this. How long until they can come back out? Are candles ok even if they are in the room? Are there any particular scents/oils that are harmful? Thank you ahead of time for any advice!

I would be very worried about having a rat in a room where you've burned incense or oil esp. They are SO strongly scented it would take many hours, possibly days, for all of the scent to clear. Even with windows open or using an air purifier. There are different air purifiers, but you'd need one with a HEPA filter and a carbon pre filter AND esp if you use oils or incense (incense is essentially oil soaked sticks) you would need to change the filters, as the oils will be absorbed into the filters. I found this out the hard way when I was making soaps, I used essential oils to make them- I did not burn anything, but the scent of the oils still got into the filters of my air purifier and I needed to change them out. And they were expensive! $20 each, and the machine used 3!

if you have limited space, I would not use scented products at all. If you have a large apt or home and can burn these things many rooms away from the rats, and keep doors closed, and windows open, then that makes it less of a problem, but you still need to be very careful.

Rats respiratory systems are EXTREMELY sensitive.

Last edited:
For me, if I liked that and if it didn't bother my asthma, then I would do it in my living room with my rats in the far away bedroom with the door close. I My asthma is GREATLY affected by anything scented so I can imagine how harsh it must be on the rats.

Eeeesh! I knew they were sensitive but my mice don't have any issues. And I guess scented candles are not good either probably. Ah well, I'll have to live without smelly things for my future ratties! Thank you everyone for your help and input!

I use scented plug ins and candles from bath and body works. We don't put any in the rat room. They aren't effected by them and neither is my asthma

So I've decided to google around for "asthma safe air fresheners" and I found some ideas that could work, but I still need to do more research.

Idea 1: Coffee grounds. Apparently unused and used work, as long as you dry them if used. All you would do is place them out in the open in a bowl (maybe some vase would be pretty), or someone suggested tying them up in coffee filters (I imagine this would prevent any dusty pieces from spreading around the room). This seems really safe considering coffee doesn't seem to cause health problems in rats unless they consume it in SUPER large quantities. So overall, just keep them somewhere the rats can't reach.

Idea 2: Cooking. Yep, food smells good! Cooking with lemons or cinnamon = great smells. I think you just wouldn't want to burn anything, but most people don't like burnt food anyways. I imagine brewing tea would be an easy way to make the room smell good too! Plus, there are so many tea flavors now.

Idea 3: Vinegar (okay maybe not...) Doesn't smell great, but it sure does make itself known. I will clean with vinegar anyways, and it's pretty good at eliminating odors from plastic rat huts, trays, wheels, etc.

Overall: Most/all commercial air fresheners that use scent aren't healthy, nor can be guaranteed safe. Anything that's burned or makes a smoke isn't advised either. There are some ways to eliminate odor, like air filters and baking soda, but those don't smell 'good' because they just eliminate smell.

Great research fumblesquid. I like the idea of cooking or maybe boiling cinnamon sticks. And I also really like the idea of coffee beans.

Back