Inbred Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

Hi All,

Just got a call from a friend who recently had a litter of rats. The rats were born late October so they are very young still. She went away and while someone else was looking after her rats they let the boys out with the girls and now one of the baby girls is pregnant from her brother. She just had the babies a few days ago (11).

What are the ramifications of sibling parents? Health issues, behavioural issues lifespan and so on?

I want to help her out with these rats but i don't know what i am getting into.

Thanks,

Tara

Rats handle being linebred/inbred well. this shouldn't cause any issues but its when they are repeatedly bred like that over and over is when the problems arise in health and temperament.

Ahhhh, so i shouldn't worry about crazy mutant rats? hehehehe.

I an debating taking them and helping her find homes for them. I will need all of your help. I will post when i have more information about the parents and babies.

Good Karma said:
Ahhhh, so i shouldn't worry about crazy mutant rats? hehehehe.

I an debating taking them and helping her find homes for them. I will need all of your help. I will post when i have more information about the parents and babies.

Of course we will be here for you!!

My Ruby and Hazel are born from mother and son. They are just fine and very intellegent. I don't think I would recommend it as a practice, but it's really not going to be too bad with one litter.

Actually, inbreeding in animals is not necessarily a bad thing. It can help bring out the good traits but all the while be ready for any bad ones too.
Like Shelagh said, it's the over breeding you don't want.

Back