Inbred oops litter. Silver babies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily

So my 3 month old rat got pregnant from her younger half brother (same father). He was 4 weeks old and I've never had any rats ready at the age. Oops. Well the (8) babies are here and turn 14 days old tomorrow (so excited for them to open their eyes!) The mother is black and white hooded. Father isblack with white belly. Maternal grandmother was also black and white hooded, paternal grandmother was black with white belly, shared grandfather was a dark brown almost black.

Well there are two babies who are super interesting. One is white with a silver hood and the other is all silver. Very pretty. I'm assuming it's a recessive trait the father caried and gave to his kids who inbred to have these silver babies.

What exactly would you call this coat? Just silver? Silver hooded?

Attachments

• 20180919_170255.jpg
    20180919_170255.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 380
I called it silver hooded. My rats who accidentally bred were a hairless girl and a champagne hooded boy, and all of the furry babies were grey hooded! The male had had a grey hooded cagemate just before her and if he hadn’t died before I got her, I would’ve thought for sure that they were his babies.

One of the babies ended up with a gorgeous silver hood and I called him Silver. It started as a nickname while I was naming them and just stuck. He looked almost exactly like your little one!

The baby in the picture looks blue to me

I am surprised that the baby boy got her pregnant because we recommend separating baby boys from girls at 5 weeks because rats become sexually mature between 5 and 6 weeks of age ....... I think that if you are correct about his age, someone else may have gottten her pregnant.
I hope the babies all do well.

Since you have rats of both sexes, I hope you will consider having all your girls spayed (or all boys neutered), if you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to do it safely.
Having intact rats of both sexes in the same household is an accident waiting to happen because rats are very motivated, very smart and people are not 100% perfect all of the time. Especially when girls go into heat. Having intact boys and intact girls in the same household is stressful for intact boys and can impact their behaviors.
There are also many health reasons for spaying girls https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/

How is piglet doing?

The baby in the picture looks blue to me

I am surprised that the baby boy got her pregnant because we recommend separating baby boys from girls at 5 weeks because rats become sexually mature between 5 and 6 weeks of age ....... I think that if you are correct about his age, someone else may have gottten her pregnant.
I hope the babies all do well.

Since you have rats of both sexes, I hope you will consider having all your girls spayed (or all boys neutered), if you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to do it safely.
Having intact rats of both sexes in the same household is an accident waiting to happen because rats are very motivated, very smart and people are not 100% perfect all of the time. Especially when girls go into heat. Having intact boys and intact girls in the same household is stressful for intact boys and can impact their behaviors.
There are also many health reasons for spaying girls https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/

How is piglet doing?

The only rats that were with her were the two males who were 4 weeks old (born from one of my rats) and their mother. No other rats. I thought it was strange as well at such a young age.

There is a vet who will spay/neuter rats, but it is way too expensive. Specially since I have 11 adults.

Piglet is doing amazingly. She can run and climb and even rides on my shoulder. Her front paws are a little deformed but she can still hold things. She's taken to running on her wheel! I never thought she'd even be able to walk, let alone run! She's my little miracle pup. She is still small compared to her sister, but she is doing great! I'm so happy and she is so cute!

Absolutely adorable! This marking and color combination is called a bare backed, blue pearl. Blue pearl is actually a very rare and prized color. If your baby didn't have deformed front paws I would say enter her in a hobby competition. In fact if you feel like it do it anyway! It might be fun for you and the ratso to meet other rats and enthusiasts.

Competitions are very dangerous and rats require long quarantines in a separate airspace both before and after competitions in order to try to prevent the often terminal, highly contagious airborn diseases rats can get

Rat spays are expensive (neuters less so) but can be very cost effective as they help to prevent several serious health issues.
Of course the most important thing is to have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to safely do surgery on rats. https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/

Here rat spays are over $200 each, and many people in other places pay much more then that.
In June I took a 3 day trip to get 9 rescue girls spayed and 1 rescue boy neutered and it is going to take me a couple of years to pay off my credit card so I know how expensive it can be

Please stop having babies (from your posts it sounds like a lot of pregnancies and litters) ..... not only are you risking the lives of your female rats but there are already too many rats in need of good homes ..... If you are purposely doing this please forget I said anything because breeding rats is not supported on this forum so I do not want to start a discussion about it

Absolutely adorable! This marking and color combination is called a bare backed, blue pearl. Blue pearl is actually a very rare and prized color. If your baby didn't have deformed front paws I would say enter her in a hobby competition. In fact if you feel like it do it anyway! It might be fun for you and the ratso to meet other rats and enthusiasts.

The silver pups are completely healthy. The one with deformed paws is the aunt to the silver pups. Her name is Piglet, she was the runt I bottle fed.

I don't think shows are a good idea. I'm all for showing off a designer animal (I go to many reptile expos), but shows are just that- for show. I like expos where you can not only show off what you have, but find them good homes and trade/buy equipment.

Er. . . So less dog show I guess? Nothing really wrong with them, I just don't like them.

The info you wrote above in your post responding to me is not allowed on this forum.
This is a rescue forum that does not support breeding rats and does not support or allow discussion of feeding snakes etc
and personally I find your discussion of reptiles to be highly offensive
Your cycle of life (Edit: re feeding captive animals) is a lie and can not be discussed on this rat rescue forum

Edit for anyone reading this … the Admin removed the offensive post that violated the rules of this forum

Last edited:
The info you wrote above in your post responding to me is not allowed on this forum.
This is a rescue forum that does not support breeding rats and does not support or allow discussion of feeding snakes etc
and personally I find your discussion of reptiles to be highly offensive
Your cycle of life is a lie and can not be discussed on this rat rescue forum

Ok sorry. I didn't know.

Buuuuut I'm pretty sure the circle of life is not a lie. Not in the snake feeding way or anything. But saying the circle of life is a lie is like saying the earth is flat. Everything dies. (Not posting in defence of killing animals for food. Just a fact.)

Ok sorry. I didn't know.

Buuuuut I'm pretty sure the circle of life is not a lie. Not in the snake feeding way or anything. But saying the circle of life is a lie is like saying the earth is flat. Everything dies. (Not posting in defence of killing animals for food. Just a fact.)
We all know about the circle of life but this rescue forum has rules. We do not condone any breeding nor any mention of feeding reptiles.
Thank you

Back